Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 2011 Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

AVG (free edition) has been bugging me to upgrade, so today I told it to go ahead. Now I'm getting errors that my license number didn't transfer and to please enter it. Well these things are free and usually it automatically adds the license key..so I don't have it saved anywhere. It says if you don't have it to reinstall.

So, I go to uninstall it, and I get an error that says:

Service 'AVG WatchDog' (avgwd) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services.

Well, I should. I'm the only user! lol

If I go to stop running processes it doesn't allow me to stop this one.

So, how do I go about getting this resolved?

*EDIT* I just realized that the 9.0 file was still on my desktop and I had been clicking on that. So instead I clicked on the 2011 version, and it has the free key in there, but still says its not valid. Dunno how to fix this...

*EDIT #2*
Ok, I uninstalled AVG 2010 by doing letter D in this list
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=117901#post_117901

Something else popped up saying I couldn't stop it, so I went into my running processes by doing the CTRL+ALT+DELETE and closed the process it was talking about. Then it continued with uninstalling. A message popped up telling me the file AVG10 didn't exist. But then stated it was uninstalled and asked me to reboot after.

So then I rebooted, and got the same error message - that my license wasn't correct.

So, then I went to Start/Programs/AVG 9.0 and clicked on Uninstall

Then I got this error: Local machine: prepared for the installation
Installation:
Error: Uninstallation is not possible. Product not installed.

Its not in Control Panel Add Remove...so now I do not know what to do

Edited by Kat91119, 25 October 2010 - 01:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

Since your issue involves licensing (not valid) I suggest you contact AVG Customer Support Center or use the support link they provide at the bottom of the topic "Issues With AVG Free License Number thread."
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

Since your issue involves licensing (not valid) I suggest you contact AVG Customer Support Center or use the support link they provide at the bottom of the topic "Issues With AVG Free License Number thread."

Its the free edition, they even state that it doesn't need a license to run. But mainly my issue is I cannont uninstall it

I'd like to uninstall it, then I'll try to reinstall from scratch

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

they even state that it doesn't need a license to run.

It read "although AVG Free does not request license number (it is automatically entered in AVG Free installation wizard with no expiration date), there can occur rare situations, when the license number is requested". So it seems your case is one of those rare situations. I'm not sure if an uninstall/reinstall will help as some vendors add licensing information to areas on your system and registry which you may never find without their help.

Anyway, the correct way to remove AVG 2011 is through its program folder via Start > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs / Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7.

If for some reason the AVG uninstall failed using the normal method of Add/Remove, download and run the latest AVG installation file as described here. When the AVG Installer windows appears choose the option to Remove and click Continue to allow the AVG 2011 uninstaller to run. Restart the computer when done.

As a last resort, you can use the AVG Remover:

AVG Remover utility removes all parts of AVG installation on your computer, including registry items, installation and user files on your disk, etc. AVG Remover is the least option to be used in case the AVG uninstallation / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

AVG Download Tools

#5 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

they even state that it doesn't need a license to run.

It read "although AVG Free does not request license number (it is automatically entered in AVG Free installation wizard with no expiration date), there can occur rare situations, when the license number is requested". So it seems your case is one of those rare situations. I'm not sure if an uninstall/reinstall will help as some vendors add licensing information to areas on your system and registry which you may never find without their help.

Anyway, the correct way to remove AVG 2011 is through its program folder via Start > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs / Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7.

If for some reason the AVG uninstall failed using the normal method of Add/Remove, download and run the latest AVG installation file as described here. When the AVG Installer windows appears choose the option to Remove and click Continue to allow the AVG 2011 uninstaller to run. Restart the computer when done.

As a last resort, you can use the AVG Remover:

AVG Remover utility removes all parts of AVG installation on your computer, including registry items, installation and user files on your disk, etc. AVG Remover is the least option to be used in case the AVG uninstallation / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

AVG Download Tools

Thank you, the AVG uninstaller at the bottom of your post is what I had to use. No other method had been working.

Now my issue is that AVG 9 (which was my original before upgrading) will not run or uninstall. All the files are still there (except the missing desktop icon) however, when I go to start/programs/avg 9.0 and attempt to uninstall it starts to uninstall for awhile...but then a message pops up stating that it cannot be uninstalled because its not installed...

Is there an uninstaller for 9.0 too?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

avgremover -> AVG 9.x Uninstall / Re-Install Instructions

#7 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

Got it working with following these directions on top of everything above

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=110317

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Glad to hear that worked.

I've noted that AVG keeps changing the links for the removal tool and I have to keep revising the instructions.

#9 imicon

imicon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

Sounds like AVG doesn't want users to uninstall their product.
Had the same dilemna but used the 32-bit tool mentioned above, with an identical positive result.

#10 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

Because of the sticky nature of security products, I find it best to uninstall prior versions of a security product rather than install over the top. This definitely helps to prevent the multiple installs confusing the issue when the product does not remove earlier products efficiently. It used to be the normal procedure before security developers started pushing over-installing upgrades. I have used AVG and found it fairly easy to uninstall when there was not some other issue bunging it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users