Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Loading Operating System".....and then it hangs.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrJackson

MrJackson

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

I have a home built PC, a Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 motherboard, AMD Phenom 2 X4 965, 2 x 2Gb DDR3 modules, 2 x Seagate SATA Hard drives. This has been running without any issues for about 9 months, I use it for the odd business letter, surfing the web and playing the odd game, nothing too frantic (Total War is the current thing wasting my time). The other night, whilst I was idly surfing, it simply decided to stop, and reboot itself. Or not, as the case may be.
It got as far as the “Loading operating system” message.....and then nothing, it just sat there. Now, I was about to go to bed anyway when this happened, so I shrugged my shoulders and switched the machine off at the wall.

Since then, I'm stuck with that same message “Loading operating system”, a flashing cursor underneath it, but nothing else.

I have a WINXP disc, so changed the boot order in the BIOS settings, putting the CD drive first and have tried to repair the Windows installation. It gets to a point where it says Windows will reboot in... seconds, but when it comes up again to the “Loading operating system” message, I get the “Boot from CD/DVD” message, “Press any key to boot from CD”, but pressing any key has no effect.
If I press the reset button on the case (CTRL, ALT, DEL has no effect) it will restart, but we get the WinXP setup telling me that the previous “update” (rather than “repair”) hasn't been completed, that Windows will try to repair it again, and we go round in a big loop until it hangs again at the "Loading operating system" message.

Knowing my limitations have really been reached, I have left it at that for now, don't want to totally wreck it!

Any help resurrecting this machine would be gratefully received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

I would use the XP CD to get to the Recovery Console...and then try to run the chkdsk /r command.

Be sure to select the R for repair in order to get to the Recovery Console, rather than attempt a reinstall.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#3 MrJackson

MrJackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

Well, thanks for that, but alas, no joy. It trundled on, took a good 4 hours, but I'm still just getting "Loading operating system..." and a flashing cursor.........

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326676.

I always think "CMOS battery" when apparent hardware problems surface out of the blue...so that would be $4 attempt at solving this.

Louis

#5 MrJackson

MrJackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:56 AM

That would have been $4 well spent, but alas, has made no difference either.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:33 AM

Can you load it up in safe mode?

Start pressing F8 after the BIOS Post Screen.

#7 MrJackson

MrJackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:03 AM

It won't load into Safe Mode, I've kept my finger on F8 when the BIOS Post screen clears, but it pops up the "Loading Operating System..." message just the same (and then just sits there, cursor flashing)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

If you have a black screen with cursor in upper left corner...try the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#9 MrJackson

MrJackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

In the end I installed another hard drive, WinXP and took ownership of the files on the other two hard-drives. A bit of a ball-ache, re-installing everything, and I'm by no means back where i was before this happened, but the main thing is that I have got all my data, my business documents, my 'ahem', "glamour" material, music etc etc.
I guess I'll not find out easily what happened to cause this, though I do think one of the original drives sounds a bit clunky, so maybe it's on its way out. The main thing I'll carry away from this is to actually BACK-UP my machine, not just keep promising myself that I'll do it....soon.....tomorrow.

Many thanks for your suggestions anyway chaps.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

Glad that you overcame it.

It would be a good idea to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, if you suspect hard drive problems...before storing any files on said drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users