Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question About Updating

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 markscfc72

markscfc72

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

the other day i got a virus which wouldnt allow my pc to boot up so i reinstalled xp but i only have Sp1 cd anyway once i had re-installed and installed AVG anti-virus, Adaware-Se, spybot i then tried going to the windows update site and updting windows, once i had downloaded all the updates i then rebooted to complete the installation of the updates but when it tried to go past the screen with the xp logo on it a blue screen popped up.

My question is would i be better downloading service pack 2 first before downloading updates, my system is quite annoying at the moment as i seem to be getting quite a lot of pop-ups, spyware and viruses

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:14 AM

You may have not gotten rid of your virus, did you reformat your drive before reinstalling xp? If not the virus may have reinstalled itself.

The other possibility, that when you went out on the Internet you picked up a new infection, is possible but less likely.

If you want to make sure that most updates are included when you reinstall, one option is to create a windows xp sp2 disk via slipstreaming. It is a little bit of work on the front end, but makes life a lot simpler for reinstallation and repair tasks. Particularly if you do this more than once.

To create a windows xp sp2 disk you need a cd burner, a windows xp disk (not a system restore disk) and software that can create a bootable cd. Of course you also need a computer that is functioning.

For complete instructions see:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

There are a number of steps in the process, but it's not quite as bad as it looks. Also if it doesn't work the first time (it took me 3 tries) you are out a little time and a couple of cds. Nothing is changed in your system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users