Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to upgrade CPU in Dell 4600

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheManInTheCUBE

TheManInTheCUBE

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:09 AM

what is the best cpu this thing will support...I'd like to have 1MB ram

guidance appreciated...especially from anyone who's actually upgraded one of these machines.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

My first thought is that it's not really worthwhile upgrading a machine that old. You would be better off putting the money toward a new machine.

About the only CPU upgrade you could do would be to go to a 3.4Ghz processor which wouldn't really buy you that much performance. You could up your RAM to 1G or more but again, it wouldn't do much for you. Use the system scanner at crucial.com to determine what type of RAM and such you need. Be prepared though, older RAM is usually more expensive.

What OS are you running? I have an old Dell 4100 running Ubuntu 10.10. Ubuntu requires less resources so it runs better than Windows on lower performance machines.

Edited by strolln, 25 October 2010 - 08:18 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 TheManInTheCUBE

TheManInTheCUBE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

My first thought is that it's not really worthwhile upgrading a machine that old. You would be better off putting the money toward a new machine.

About the only CPU upgrade you could do would be to go to a 3.4Ghz processor which wouldn't really buy you that much performance. You could up your RAM to 1G or more but again, it wouldn't do much for you. Use the system scanner at crucial.com to determine what type of RAM and such you need. Be prepared though, older RAM is usually more expensive.

What OS are you running? I have an old Dell 4100 running Ubuntu 10.10. Ubuntu requires less resources so it runs better than Windows on lower performance machines.

thanks for the input...I'm replacing the graphic card ....with the standard one..the old one died.....and was thinking about 'bumping it up a bit by also adding a cheaper cpu probably from a second hand source.....

but may not..

gratitude for the input...:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users