Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIFI gone after installing new GFX card

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 klausfunk

klausfunk

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:28 AM

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
ASUS p5b-e plus
Q6600
4 GB RAM
Tplink wn-650g wifi adaptor

Just slapped in a 9500GT 1024. Its double height so had to move my Tplink wn-650g down a slot. Now windows does not detect a network. Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. No luck. Moved it back to original slot and it works again! Tried other slots too but no luck. It seems to only work in one of my PCI slots which is most annoying as its the one closest to the GFX card slot.

Also, despite having 4GB installed windows only has 2.94GB usuable. The max RAM thing is unticked. I tried Memory Remap in BIOS which showed the full 4GB on reboot but on my other OS (dual boot system) Win XP SP3 Pro it only show 2GB!This OS I use for music production so RAM is very important! Help appreciated. Thanks.

Karl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

Is the windows XP Pro 32 or 64 bit?

If it is 32 bit that may be why your not seeing all 4GB of RAM.

Also perhaps you should check your MOBO manual to see which RAM slots you should use when using fewer RAM sticks then the board can hold. On my board i have 6 slots, but have to use slots 1-3-5 for 3 sticks or less.

As far as your wireless card goes, does the PCI slot your moving it to, work? Do you know for sure?
Does it get in the way of your video card? Or is it only annoying to you because its to close to your video card?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:19 AM

Thank you for your reply.

The Windows is XP 32bit. I Realise it cannot address the full 4GB of Ram. But the issue is why it now only shows 2GB after Memory Remap where previously it showed around 3.2GB.

So to be clear... Before Remap Win 7 showed 2.93GB Useable
Win XP Showed 3.2GB

After Remap Win 7 showed 4.GB
Win XP showed 2.GB

Crazy! I assume its some kind of conflict of 32/64 bit different OS but I dont know. Thats why Im here. Im using slots 1 and 3 as recommended by the manual.

I moved the soundcard up to the PCI slot in question and had no problem. So it works.
The GFX card is double height so it restricts the PCI slot where my WIFI card works. My previous GFX card was low profile so it was not a problem.

Thank you again.

Karl

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

Keep in mind, some PCI slots are 1x when other slots are occupied, your sound card might work with 1x but not the WIFI card. You should refernce the Manual to find out what happens exactly when which PCI slots are occupied. If you come to the conclusion that getting the wireless card to work on PCI is no longer available to you because of this new GPU, then perhaps you should look in to getting a USB wireless adapter.

Im not sure why your XP sees just 2GB now, while your W7 sees 4GB.

Does Remapping RAM mean that it changes which slots are to be used? Perhaps on Remap, instead of having to use slots 1 and 3, its now 1 and 2, or 3 and 2, or any other combination between then number of RAM slots you have, for XP.

Try removing RAM in slot 3, as I asssume it always uses slot 1, and see if XP still sees 2GB. If not, repeat with slot 3, find which slot is being used by XP, then place RAM in other slots to see if system recognizes it. I hope this doesnt seem to far fetched, also I do not know if that is eventhe case.

If you do attempt this, be sure to check W7 for RAM capacity, if you do find a solution.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 27 October 2010 - 10:20 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

Im going to get a USB wireless adaptor. It really makes no sense. I have been through the manuals and found no solution there. I removed everything PCI based except wireless card and my old GFX card and still no luck. Most strange!

As for the RAM problems it seems its a common problem with this ASUS board. Apparently you will only see 3008MB on P965-chipset boards with memory remapping disabled. With the memory remap enabled you will see 2048MB out of 4GB with XP 32-bit.

Guess ill be upgrading my XP to Windows 7 64bit too then!

Thanks everyone.

Karl

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

That is very strange, sorry that you have to dish out more money on this. The only thing I can think of now is that the card was damaged somehow when you moved it. I hope I was helpful enough.

Your Welcome
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Try moving your wireless card down to the very bottom of the motherboard.

#8 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

The only thing I can think of now is that the card was damaged somehow when you moved it.

Well thats the odd thing you see. Im using it now! Without problems. But in the original slot with the old low profile GFX card...

#9 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

Try moving your wireless card down to the very bottom of the motherboard.

Tried that. Tried it in all the available slots both with old GFX card and new (to establish if the new GFX card was to blame) and the little rascal only wants to work in the slot directly below the PCIe x16 slot that the new GFX card obstructs. Bizarre.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

What kind of power supply do you have?

#11 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

What kind of power supply do you have?

It a Hiper 560W

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Your power supply probably doesn't provide enough power for your system.

What video card do you have in it now?

#13 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

Your power supply probably doesn't provide enough power for your system.

What video card do you have in it now?

Thanks for your reply.

When I originally spec'd the build I carefully considered a suitable power supply (within my budget) for the system. Researching the power distributed by each rail and how much power my core components would need. My new GFX card is a Gforce 9500GT 1GB DDR2. Could this addition be capable of sucking all my power?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users