Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIndows Update vs HP Total Care Advisor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Orion82

Orion82

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:34 AM

I have been having some ongoing trouble for a few weeks now, with a blue screen and the PC continuously restarting after booting up. I've done two or three system restores and created a new user profile at the suggestion of non-professional computery friends. Antivirus scans identified four files as infected with malware and quarantined them. After the most recent system restore, I seem to be OK and have rebooted successfully several times.

When I run Windows Update, it tells me my system is up to date. But if I open HP Total Care Advisor, it says I need to install a batch update to correct an error in connecting to the printer. I clicked on "Run Selected Updates" and the next dialog box said, "After running the following updates, please check the PC Action Center for additional updates as some must be ran individually." The typo ('ran' instead of 'run') was a red flag, so I tried alt+F4, and finally had to ctrl+alt+del to close HP Advisor. I have had no trouble printing.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Specs:
Compaq Presario CQ60
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Avast 5 antivirus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

I guess I don't see the problem :huh:.

Microsoft critical updates are generated for the sake of system security.

Microsoft optional updates...are user preference items that have nothing to do with O/S security.

Microsoft driver updates...are best ignored, IMO. The best place to get updates for drivers...is the website of the system manufacturer or the component manufacturer.

I know nothing about HP systems and HP software...but I'm sure that they have documentation at their website...for any suggested downloads for the systems they make.

Louis

#3 Orion82

Orion82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

My concern was the grammar error...typos and errors tend to be red flags that something's up, right? Since I've been having other issues, too, I'm skeptical. But I'll check HP's website. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users