Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Windows 7 username/password prompt to view available shares

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kev6987

kev6987

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:39 PM

If I connect to my Windows 7 PC from my XP PC, I am prompted for a username/password in order to view a list of available shares. This didn't start happening until recently, but I don't know what has changed - does anyone know how to get things back to the previous behavior?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tafoya

Tafoya

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:32 AM

How are you connecting to your Win 7 pc from your XP PC? Through a network or a program?

#3 kev6987

kev6987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:51 AM

Through the network - I'm trying to get to shared folders on the Windows 7 box.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:37 AM

You probably have to turn off password protected sharing. Or just use the same account name and password on both machines.

This tutorial has always helped me: Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 kev6987

kev6987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

I've run across that page in the past few days, and password protected sharing is already turned off. It's not a deal-breaker, but is there anything else I can check?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

That happened to me...when I tried to connect using the Win 7 networking function.

Rather than go that route, I found it simpler to just rename my workgroup in XP to "workgroup" (the default for Win 7) and then I had unlimited access to all partitions/drives.

Louis

#7 kev6987

kev6987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

The Win7 box is the newest one, and I changed the workgroup name to match all my other PCs - are you saying that there's something special about the workgroup name "workgroup"? Just trying to understand...

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

Yeah, I did the same thing actually (joined my XP box to the "Workgroup").

It's actually called "Homegroup" in Windows 7, but XP works by joining it as if it were named "Workgroup". I don't know why.

You just have to fiddle with it for a while, and you'll figure it out. But if not, by all means, ask more questions.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:15 PM

My understanding (which is not guaranteed to be correct) is that there is no way that Win 7 can join an existing hetwork with XP systems...unless you go through the formal network procedure in Win 7. Since I didn't want to do that, I looked around for simpler ways of sharing files from the XP network.

It seems that while XP users only have 1 level of networking...Win 7 has two, what I would call "formal" and "informal", for want of a better understanding.

I really cannot explain it any better because I elected what I considered the easiest route of changing the name of the XP network.

The Win 7 Help menus will enumerate all the steps that you have to do, IIRC.

Louis

#10 ornea

ornea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

I have spent some time solving this puzzle and finally found the cause for my setup and a workaround.

I have WIn7 shares and would be presented with a username/password dialog box when accessing these from XP.  Entering guest allowed me access but I just wanted to be granted access.  I had to follow other guides on the web to get this far so you may also need to try those.

As a matter of coarse when forced to enter a username when installing an Operating System I always use the same bogas username.  Lets say it is catdog.  So many devices on my network have a catdog user configured mostly without a password.  The Win7 box (which I use as a file server) is also configured with this username however it has a password.

After much experimenting I determined that if I try to access the WIn7 shares from an XP hosts while logged in as catdog on the XP host  then I would get the username/password dialog box.  If I tried this from an XP host with any other username then I would be able to access the shares directly.  i.e. No dialog box. I have confirmed this behavior, it is repeatable.

So in an attempt explain I guess the following is happening.  When users try to access shared resources, the host presents their credentials to the server.  If the server has a matching user name it will try to use that users local credentials and thus to use those resources as that user (in this case catdog) a password must be provided.

If however, a user tries to access the resource but there is no match, then the guest users credentials are applied.  I have configured guest with full access to the shares on the Win7 box so access is allowed.

For me, I worked around this problem by changing the username on the WIn7 box to catdogd and now I have flawless access to the shares.

This has driven me nuts and thought i would share in the hope that it may help.

Ornea

Edited by ornea, 06 October 2014 - 10:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users