Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

residual issues after reinstallation fo windows and reinstating my programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

hey there folks,
I just have a quick question for you. A few months ago, I had put in a request for an issue with Windows Explorer. Now, three months later, I get my computer back, and after a failed reimage that turned into a reinstall of the OS due to a hard drive replacement, I have mostly skeleton programs after the tech support at my college copied my old settings over to the new hard drive. Since a windows reinstall has already been done, I'd like to not go that root, but I need my programs restored to living copies rather than skeletons. Among those that do not function are Eset nod32, AIM, Visual Studio 2010, Winamp, MS Office, a few games I have, Windows live, and JAWS 11.0. I've tried installing new copies over the skeletons that currently reside, and I have been getting lots of errors saying "The feature you're trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". That's with Windows Installers, and when I try running one of the programs copies I often get: "the application failed to start because it's side by side configuration is incorrect." If anyone can explain this and help me bring my computer back to life, I'd really appreciate it. Many thanks to all who can give me a hand!

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dodes

dodes

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

So the OS was reinstalled, and the tech support department at your college attempted to move your old settings over to the new hard drive (the one that had just been restored)?
It doesn't sound like any of the programs you mentioned were reinstalled onto your new hard drive - the tech support department may have set everything up the way it was before (is that what you mean by "copied my old settings over..."?), but you'll need to reinstall those programs for them to function properly. I wouldn't think another OS reinstall would be necessary. AIM, Windows Live, Winamp, and NOD32 are all easy to obtain, but do you have copies available for the others?
Windows 7 Pro x64
Biostar TH55B-HD
WD Corsair Black 500GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
G-Skill 2x2GB 1066 DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. And yes I was most certainly talking about the hard drive that I'd restored. Folks tell me that it didn't matter what was going on at the time. The truth was that I had imaged the drive too late, and they tell me that imaging is not a rescue solution. I should have had a default image backed up long before I knew the drive was going. And I wish somebody had seen this sooner, for I reinstalled Windows over the weekend due to the simple fact that reinstalling of skeleton programs did no good. I'd uninstall the skeleton, and then I'd just get the same error after reinstallation as if nothing had happened at all. And you can't forget Windows installers with all of those errors on them deliriously looking for shares that either didn't exist in the first place, or no longer exist in their former configurations. My friend just looked at me, and he was like, just reinstall, for you have too many errors that it would take too much time to sort them all out. He was right. For let me tell you how it was. My computer looked like Windows in Steven King's world. All of my programs had an entry in the start menu, all of their folders and files were there, so I figured that it was all because I used the image as a rescue solution instead of a continual backup solution. I guess that's what I get for not seeing things clearly.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

The fastest way you can resolve this issue is by reinstalling all your programs. You simply cannot copy programs from one install to another and expect them to work.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

I am aware of that now, but when is using an image good then? does it ever work? I have heard good things about imaging and how using an image to restore your previous configurations helps to reduce the need to have the reinstallation of applications. what is the real story? Thanks.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

If it were a true image you wouldn't have to reinstall your applications as they would still be intact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users