Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About:blank

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:35 AM

I've noticed that 'Opening page about:blank' briefly appears at the bottom of my browser window when I enter most sites, usually sites with a lot of ads, some without. About:blank isn't good, is it?

I have spy/adware protection...Adaware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, along with anti-virus and firewall, but none of the scans have ever found about:blank. How do I get rid of it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:05 AM

Seems IE is trying to spawn a pop-up window, that's all. It could be a remnant of a piece of adware, but if your scans (using the latest versions of multiple scanners) come up clean, you're probably OK.

#3 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:53 AM

Hi PCIlliterateGal,

If I were you I would ask an expert in the HJThis section. :thumbsup:

Don't take the risk! :flowers:

They will check your computer and advice you on what to do if something is wrong.

Good luck! :trumpet:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:45 AM

PCIlliterateGal,

If I may offer, here is some additional information regarding the topic in question. Take a look here. hth

Be (About:Blank) Safe

Da Bleeping Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:20 AM

This may not be an infection at all. If you open IE and go to Tools>Internet Options under the General tab you will see the options for setting your homepage and one of these is Use Blank. If you select this, you will see the Address becomes About:Blank. This is perfectly normal behaviour in this case. Try playing around with the homepage settings but if your home page is changeable you do not have the About:Blank infection as that is a Browser Hijacker that won't let you change your homepage.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:54 AM

Ohhh...well, I haven't had any problems changing my homepage.

I see the Use Blank option, but that isn't the option I use. I see "Opening page about:blank..." on almost every site nowadays. That's normal?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:15 AM

I'm guessing but if you have a slow computer or internet connection IE is probably thinking you are going to time out on the connection to the page you are seeking and displays the About:Blank briefly before loading the page you are accessing. I wouldn't worry about it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone.

My computer has been slower, and Internet browsing has become an annoyance almost...it took the length of an entire song to go from My Topics to this thread..despite the fact that I have a high speed connection. But I figure that's related to other computer problems. Then again...getting around the Internet didn't seem this slow before I started seeing 'About:Blank'.

IE is probably thinking you are going to time out on the connection to the page you are seeking

What does that mean, "time out"?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:13 AM

I'm not sure what the default is but a "Time out" occurs when IE attempts to load a webpage and is unable to get the information needed from the hosting server in a set amount of time. At that point IE gives up and will display the "Page cannot be displayed" default page.

Thats definitely taking to long to open a page. Have you done any scans for malware?

#10 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:53 PM

Ohh...ok. Seems like 'about:blank' appears regardless of the amount of time the page spends opening.

I try to scan my computer with Spybot and Adaware once a week...neither find anything besides harmless cookies. AVG has never found any kind of virus...tho lately I haven't been able to scan with AVG because of weird error messages. I've tried to scan a few times with WinPfind because of those weird 'Operation Aborted' messages I get whenever I try to open certain BC tutorials. But I've never seen the results of the scan because of even more error messages.

But I figure it's my computer's lack of memory that's making it run so slow. I just wondered if About:Blank may have something to do with it.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:27 AM

You mentioned earlier that it takes longer to open a page than to play a tune. Are you playing music on this computer while you surf?

#12 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

Nope, I learned a long time ago not to play music and surf at the same time...super slow.

This week I put it in the shop for repair...insides cleaned, added memory. She seems to be running pretty fast now. Guess about:blank wasn't causing this slowness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users