Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded Grahic Card But Experience Minor Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:32 AM

i had a radeon 9200se 128mb video card which was there when purchased PC, nearly 2 years old i decided to upgrade it to a radeon 9800 pro 256mb. I seem to be experienceing something never before have. Sometimes my PC won't boot, this didn't happen until a month later but if i unplug it then plug back then it will turn on this doesn't happen often nor does it annoy me yet i was wondering if anyone would know what it could be. Anything to help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:09 AM

Hi

More PC specs needed please. Power supply in particular.

Regards

Bryan
Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:44 PM

what do you mean in PC specs?
P4 2.8ghz
768mb ram
80gb hardrive
Power Supply - how much? isn't a standard power supply enough i had to remove it from the powerboard to the wall as it wouldn't work full stop nor would it burn CD/DVD which it does now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:04 PM

What is reflected in Event Viewer as errors?

Event Viewer In Windows XP - http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBI/tip4300/rh4317.htm

Louis

#5 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:15 PM

Power Supply - how much? isn't a standard power supply enough i had to remove it from the powerboard to the wall as it wouldn't work full stop nor would it burn CD/DVD which it does now.

Hi

Depends what you mean by standard. Don't understand the last sentence, could be advancing years though on my part.

I have seen many power supplies fail when extra or more powerful peripherals are introduced. PC builders are (or at least used to be) guilty of using the lowest wattage power supply that would work with the supplied components when the PC was built.

Regards

Bryan
:thumbsup:

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:24 PM

240 volt power supply is a standard power socket in Australia.
oh the last question wasn't a question it was something to do with power as i was unable to burn CD/DVD because not enough power was getting into it while it was pluged into power board, since i change to the wall soket itself i can burn again. my main thing is it not turning on unless i remove then place back into wall socket.

#7 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:30 PM

Hi

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. I meant the power supply(PSU) in the PC. Now I understand the last sentence. Was in OZ(Coffs Harbour) 2 years ago to see mate I had not seen for 30+ years. Great country and people.

Regards

Bryan

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:40 PM

it can't go any higher than what it is or i'll burn it out.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

Great link hamluis! I've been hoping to find something like that for a long time now!

1) Unplug the system, open the case, ground yourself to the chassis, then recheck and reseat all of the connections. There's a good chance that something may have been nudged loose while you were working in it (happens to me all the time!)

2) Without the results from the Event Viewer, grasping at straws leads us to the video card and it's drivers. Go to the ATI site and download 1) the latest Catalyst drivers and 2) the Catalyst Uninstaller, then...
- uninstall the card in Device Manager
- run the Catlyst Uninstaller
- install the new drivers
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:47 PM

thanks i will check into that.

#11 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:16 AM

Heh. Just to clear up the power supply issue, remember that the electricity coming from your wall socket (voltage) doesn't have a direct bearing on the amount of power (wattage) that your computer's power supply can provide to all your parts.

The original question was about the capabilities of your power supply, meaning how many watts is it rated to provide? Standard power supplies usually run in the neighborhood of 300-350 watts, and people are just trying to make sure that your new video card doesn't draw so much more power than your old one that it taxes your power supply too much. Some video cards can be quite power hungry, and we know that there are some issues with your power supply as it is since your computer wouldn't run until you disconnected your DVD drive.

While you have your computer case open, look for a label that indicates the power supply's wattage.

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:31 AM

i had not disconnected my DVD drive as i have a combo CD/DVD all-in-one. i couldn't burn DVD/CD while the power supply was pluged into the power board since that i put it straight to the wall and now it will burn cd/dvd again but it didn't solve why the odd day my tower won't switch on. (unplug and replug it works). this since the new graphics card. by the sounds i may need to get the next size power supply? keeping in mind a power thing on the wall is max 240 volt and running of that is a 19" LCD monitor, Lamp, Clock/Radio, Fan, Small Stereo, PC Speakers which run off the power board (i have a double plug on the wall) which the PC tower is on the other plug in the double thing which actually means that 240 volt power supply is split to all those seperate items pluged to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users