Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc Blues

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BHRN

BHRN

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:06 AM

My first post and a cry of help to all you kind soles out there.

Received my new pc after ordering it from the U.S.A. assembeled from parts I ordered by a friend out there.ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe, Intel Pentium 4 660, OCZ memory 2GB Gold.
Ran fine when I first got it a few days ago with only XP Pro SP2 on it. I started by loading AVG on it and Ashampoo Uninstaller, ZoneAlarm then Bitdefender Pro and Ewido. Did an update from MS. Things started going bad when I booted the pc the next day, it slowed down getting the welcome screen that hanged for a couple of minutes the mouse pointer froze and could only get it going again by unplugging it from the usb port and reconnecting it (have to do this everytime to get it to work now). After the welcome screen I only get the desktop background with no icons, it hangs for a while then the icons appear and only some of the icons on the right side of the taskbar appear at first then after a few minutes the rest struggle to show. The speaker icon has gone, went to "sounds and audio properties" and all is greyed out so I couldn't do much there.

Not much that I can do in general realy, system restore, defrag and most other utilities don't function, I can't install new programs. Ran a scan with BitDefender and Ewido but nothing found, tried Ewido in safe mode also and no luck however BitDefender refused to run in safe mode.

I am no computer expert and would very much appreciate any help and guidance in sorting this machine out.

Edited by BHRN, 21 November 2005 - 01:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 06:26 AM

Hi

Post your system specs for more help.

Check BIOS event log if it has one.

Did the system come with XP already installed? Who installed it?

Assuming hardware is OK it sounds like you may need to reinstall XP.

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm for details. In particular, UNPLUG your network cable until Windows is installed. Then take restore point(s) before installing anti-virus & anti-spyware software. THEN & ONLY THEN plug in your network cable and do Windows Updates.

Assuming all goes well and everything is working fine do an image backup to another PHYSICAL hard disk if possible before installing anything else.

Regards

Bryan
Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

#3 BHRN

BHRN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:01 AM

Hi donzo, thanks for the reply. What system specs should I post? I posted some in my original post what else is needed? Please bear with me as I'm new to all this.

How do I check the bios event log?

A friend instlled XP for me when he built the PC in the U.S.

I will try to reinstall XP, does it overwrite everything? Are there any particular things that I have to look out for??

Sorry for the avalanche of questions but I'm not sure of what I should be doing and in what order.

#4 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:46 AM

Hi

No problem we all have to learn. Sounds like you are getting the idea already.

One step at a time:

To get into BIOS usually you have to press DELETE or DEL or F2 key(should tell you at bottom of first screen you see when you switch on-you need to press with a few seconds). Then navigate the menus and see if there is a BIOS EVENT LOG or similar name somewhere. BIOS will also have details of lots of other stuff. Should tell you somewhere what BIOS type it is so we can help more. You should have manuals for motherboard/case/memory?

IF you go ahead and try to reinstall XP you CAN do it without losing everything but this is not the recommended method.
IF you have any data you need then the recommended method WILL ERASE EVERYTHING AND YOU WILL LOSE IT!!

Post back with more details before we proceed.

Regards

Bryan

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:25 AM

The fact that the problem goes away when you unplug a usb device suggest that you might have a conflict there.

Go to start/control panel/performance and maintence/system. Click on hardware tab and then click on device manager tab. Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, should be last item on list.

Do any of the devices have a yellow or red mark next to them? If so right click on device and select uninstall. Reboot computer and let windows reinstall the device drivers. That should solve the problem. If not go to manufacturer's web-site and see if there is an updated device driver.

If none of the devices have a yellow or red mark, then I would suggest trying a windows repair, rather than reformating and reinstalling. To do a repair, boot up with your windows disk in the cd drive, press any key to boot from cd drive. When you come to the first screen that asks if you want to do a repair say no. The next screen will offer you the choice of reinstalling or repairing, choose repair here.

This route will preserve your files and programs. If this doesn't solve the problem, then you may need to reformat the hard drive and start over, but save that as the last resort.

If you do have any files on your computer that you want to preserve, it is wise to back them up before doing a repair, but if it works properly you shouldn't have a problem.

#6 BHRN

BHRN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:36 AM

The dlete key works for it, found the following info on Bios-- Version 0202, Build Date 09/13/05. I have all the manuals for the board so if you need me to look up anything else please let me know.

I don't have much on this pc yet as it is new so no problem with doing a complete new install if I know how to proceed.

Thank you for your patience I very much appreciate your help.

#7 BHRN

BHRN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

Hi franktiii, sorry should have explained that point better, I meant to say that the mouse freezes at that point and I can only get it going again by unpluging it from the usb port. I did check for any conflicts earlier but all is well, I like yourself expected to find a problem there but not the case.

#8 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:25 PM

No problem, just like it when the simple solutions work.

If there are no visible conflicts then I would try a repair with windows xp, but not a complete reformat and reinstall, unless you think you might have a virus or malware causing the problem, but it looks like you have pretty good coverage on that end.

#9 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:07 PM

Hi again

Good suggestions from franktiii.

Have you tried going into the BIOS yet to see if anything is in the event log? Trying to rule out possible memory problems. You will almost certainly have to go there to change the boot device priority so that the PC will boot from CD.

Worth trying franktiii's suggestions for an 'easy' fix.

Regards

Bryan

#10 BHRN

BHRN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:24 AM

Many thanks for your help guys, I will try the repair first when I get home this evening as you suggested franktiii but before that I would like to try and find out if there is anything in the BIOS event log as you suggested donzo44. I did get into the BIOS yesterday when I posted the version but couldn't find an event log, I will have another look this evening, may have missed it, do all of them have this event log??

#11 BHRN

BHRN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:06 AM

Had a little time to spare so went home and tried to repair as suggested. Booted from xp cd:

Windows Setup comes up with blue screen and starts loading files

Next another screen with 3 options, to set up xp now, to repair using Recovery Console and last To quit press F3.

Pressed r

A DOS window then pops up 1: C:\Windows which windows installation would you like to log onto (to cancel, press Enter)? and a little square appears after the question mark at the end there.

Not sure what to put there so put 1 and pressed Enter then it asks for and adminstrator password, don't know what that would be as I didn't set any password. So what should I enter there??? Have I done the right thing so far?

In the first screen it also gives a choice of pressing F2 for Automated Sytem Recovery. What does that do and should I concern myself with that or not?

Aplogies again for the barage of questions.

#12 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:50 AM

you should choose no at that screen at the next screen it will offer the choice of reinstall or repair. Choose repair at this point.

#13 BHRN

BHRN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:59 AM

So I wasn't suppose to press "r" in that window? It's just that I didn't see any options in there other than this and no place to choose "NO" where did I go wrong??

#14 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:16 PM

When you boot from the windows xp disk, there are several screens regarding setup.

It will pause at a screen Welcome to Setup: It offers a choice of

"To setup windows xp now, press enter"

"To repair a windows xp installation using recovery console, press r"

"To quit setup without installing windows xp, press f3"

Press enter

the next screen asks you to accept EULA, press f8

the next screen offers
"to repair the selected windows xp installation, press r"

"to continue installing a fresh copy of windows xp with repairing, press esc."

press R here to run a repair

#15 BHRN

BHRN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:50 PM

I get a Fatal Error screen--

"An error has been encountrered that prevents Setup from continuing.
Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information."

System Setup Log

The signature for Windows XP Professional Upgrade is invalid. The error code is 426
The serive has not been started.

Fatal Error

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Edited by BHRN, 22 November 2005 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users