Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot boot up, circular path

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Glenski

Glenski

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

I have an old (7 year old?) NEC LaVie laptop with Japanese OS (XP Home edition). Lately it has been making grinding sounds when I start the computer. I have loaded nothing new in months, but this morning it would not start up.

It gave me the familiar grinding noise (a slow motor?), and instead of going to any of the regular screens after the NEC logo displayed, it went into the black screen with white letters that precedes my choice of Safe Mode. It only allows 25 seconds there before it automatically moves to the black Windows screen with the bar at the bottom, indicating that Windows is trying to start up, but then it flashes a blue screen with lettering I cannot see (too fast), and it returns to the Safe Mode setup screen.

If I try entering Safe Mode from that screen, using any of the 3 options, it does not do that. Instead it goes to the black Windows logo screen again and recycles its endless loop of incomplete starts. If I try entering regular mode from that screen, same results.

What can I do? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Glenski, 24 October 2010 - 08:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

That grinding noise if most likely the hdd.

If you have the installation CD for the operating system there are a couple of things we can try.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Glenski

Glenski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

I think I might be able to locate them. What do you suggest, A?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

If you can find the installation disk try using the recovery console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

I just want to make sure that I haven't missed anything here. As I understand it, any option you have tried when using F8 has resulted in a blue error screen without any time to make any selections?

#6 Glenski

Glenski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:03 AM

any option you have tried when using F8

I am not using F8 at all. The computer just automatically goes to the screen one would normally see if I did use F8.

Also, I can't open the CD-ROM disk drive when the computer is off, right? If I turn the computer on, there is all that other activity that just doesn't stop. I'd have to open the drive, put in the disk, shut off the computer (probably) and then power it up again, right? Or, I suppose it would automatically see the disk as it passes through the Windows screen in all that activity and then to what it's supposed to...

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer

I have no idea what that means.

You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS

How? I can't go to Safe Mode or desktop. Once in that F8 screen, I have 25 seconds ticking off on the bottom of the screen to make a decision about what mode to choose, and yes, any one I choose gives me a fast blue screen that has some writing on it, but too fast to read.

Edited by Glenski, 25 October 2010 - 12:09 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

Booting from a CD by passes the operating system, so that won't be an issue. The BIOS is independent of the operating system as well, you should be able to boot into that by pressing delete as the computer starts.

You mentioned in your first post that this computer is a NEC. What model is it?

#8 Glenski

Glenski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:15 AM

I wrote that it is an NEC LaVie. I think the specific model is LaVie C, but I'll have to go home to check.

#9 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

"Also, I can't open the CD-ROM disk drive when the computer is off, right?"
MOST of the time there is a little hole underneath the tray that you can stick a straightened paper clip in and push a lever that is inside.

#10 Glenski

Glenski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

I have the original Microsoft Office XP Personal disk. Put it in when the power was off (by opening the drive with a paper clip). I can hear the drive turning and can only assume it is being accessed.

Nothing new. Same old circular set of screens that don't stop opening. I have no "Welcome to Setup" screen.
When the NEC logo screen comes up, it is only for about 2 seconds, but it says something about F2 and BIOS at the bottom, but pressing F2 when this screen is up does nothing.

I also have a Microsoft Office XP Tool CD, but I don't know if that is helpful. There is no XP OS disk.

What next?

Edited by Glenski, 26 October 2010 - 07:25 AM.

#11 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:14 AM

"I have the original Microsoft Office XP Personal disk."
i don't know what that is. personal disk?

"I can hear the drive turning and can only assume it is being accessed."
recently, i experienced a cd drive that would read and write data, yet wouldn't boot a system. it can happen.

"I have no "Welcome to Setup" screen.
When the NEC logo screen comes up, it is only for about 2 seconds, but it says something about F2 and BIOS at the bottom, but pressing F2 when this screen is up does nothing."

it looks like you're not booting from cd.
1. your cd drive may be defective
2. you may need to configure the bios to boot to cd

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

You may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is recognized as the first device in the boot order.

#13 Glenski

Glenski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

Office XP Personal is the name on the disk. I can only assume it is Microsoft Office made for XP, and that it is a "home" version, but here in Japan it says "personal". Is that what you want me to try using, or is there something else that you call an XP OS disk?

2. you may need to configure the bios to boot to cd

And how do I do that? I wrote about BIOS last time.

#14 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

"2. you may need to configure the bios to boot to cd
And how do I do that? I wrote about BIOS last time."

you need to enter 'setup'. to do that, varies according to your computers bios. it may say "press f1 to enter setup' when your computer is booting up.
once in 'setup' write down the way things are configured before you make any changes. you can always revert back to those settings if you need to.
change your boot order so that your computer boots from the cd first.
save your changes.

if you want a little more assurance about how this is done, there are several quality video tutorials on youtube. that's how i learned how to do it.

the 'personal office disk' won't help with this.

edit: forgot info

Edited by ejames82, 26 October 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#15 Glenski

Glenski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

ejames82,
Did you read what I wrote about being unable to get into the BIOS menus? It says press F2, but even when I do that, nothing happens. It just continues with the insane pattern of other screens.

Thanks for the advice about using the Office disk. I figured it wouldn't be what Arach said I needed (an OS disk).

Edited by Glenski, 26 October 2010 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users