Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi Newbie, Getting First Notebook Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ghead

ghead

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:25 AM

Hi everyone, :thumbsup: I live in illinois and am going 2 purchase a new notebook. I've done a LOT of research and have come 2 a choice of 2 notebooks. They are both by Gateway the NX850X and the NX850XL. No matter which one I choose everything is going 2 be the same except for the graphics card and the resolution on the screen. they both have 17" screens the nx850x has 1440x900 res and the nx850xl has 1680x1050 res. My concern is how much smaller the font size will be on the higher res. I would like 2 do games but also use a lot of programs that use typing so I was wondering if I get the one with 1680x1050 and use that setting when I play games but when I want 2 do typing or softeware that has a lot of font can I turn it down 2 1440x900 without having any bad looking words or graphics and will it work good with most 32 bit software. Will I find my self only 2 be able 2 do a lot of things only at the native 1680x1050 or will pretty much everything look good and not blurry or jagged even when I lower the res too 1440x900.
As far as the graphics cards the nx850x has Ati mobility radeon x700 128mb and the nx850xl has nvidia geforce go 6800 256mb. Now yes I know the higher MB card will be a lot better bet I want 2 know if I get the notebook with the x700 128 mb card is there going 2 be huge delay time and a huge slow down with new games like doom 3 and will I just be totally dissapointed with any other current new games or can it handle it ok.
One more question about the screen resolution stuff. If I had the one with 1680x1050 can I enlarge the font size without having any adverse affects on software applications and on the web?

Thanks a bunch 2 everyone who reads this!
Ghead

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Gateway_NX850...-2.html?tag=nav

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1869341,00.asp

Louis

#3 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:44 AM

Higher resolution is always better. There's nothing that says you can't set your resolution to a lower level than the maximum of what your display can support. In fact, I'm using 1152x864 right now even though my video card and monitor supports up to 1600x1200.

If you're going to game, you might not be too happy with the results. Most laptop/notebook machines have weak video cards compared to what you can get in a desktop machine, and unlike a desktop machine, you're stuck with whatever vid card comes with your notebook -- no upgrades. I don't know the stats on the notebooks you're considering, so I can't comment specifically. They might actually be OK for Doom 3.

#4 ghead

ghead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:30 PM

Thanks 4 the res info. That's good 2 here.
Yeah ur right there not nearly as good as desktop vid cards but they are getting better 4 notebooks. Actually u can upgrade the graph cards in laptops but it's brand new and only in the "questionable" laptop companies like polywell and cyberpower inc. Nvidia makes the upgradable card called the MXM but it not the standard yet so It will probably be changed a lot until it's widespread and the better laptop companies agree 2 start using them.
Anyways thanks 4 the reply
ghead

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:56 PM

These are the requirements to play: As an idea of 2 popular games

DOOM3

http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom3..._section=sysreq

World of Warcraft

http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww0830p

I would recommend a gig of RAM

Edited by boopme, 24 November 2005 - 12:08 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users