Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your opinion on these ISP?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mike505

mike505

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

I currently have the comcast triple play package but am fed up with the service (or lack-there-of). My internet connection goes out just about every day for several minutes. Sometimes multiple times a day. Comcast doesn't know why this is happening or what they can do to fix it, and it seems like they are not making any effort to resolve this problem.

Here's my question:

I want to change my internet service from Comcast to a different company. Right now I'm looking at RoadRunner , Cox, and possibly Verizon. What is your opinion on these companies? What's your opinion on a company that I didn't mention?

My household usually has 2-4 machines on the internet at any given time. We use the internet for online gaming, live-streaming videos, research, and uploading and watching YouTube videos. So I need an internet that can do all of this and still be fast.

Thanks for reading. Please help me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

I haven't heard good things about any of those companies, with Verizon being the exception (haven't heard anything, good or bad).

I have AT&T DSL right now, and I've only lost my internet net once. Pricing is decent depending on the speed you want (6 MB/s is the fastest you can get)

Charter is faster, but costs more.

Satellite internet (Hughesnet, WildBlue, etc.) is also fast (nothing beats cable internet, though), but very expensive (installation, equipment, and monthly rate).

That being said, my place of residence has recently started including satellite internet included in the rent, so I will be cancelling my AT&T very soon.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 24 October 2010 - 07:15 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Mike, I want to direct you to the Comcast help forums.

Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet connection, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual Forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

Go to the Internet Connection forum. Read the posts titled Troublesho​oting Suggestion​s for Connection​-Related Issues and Informatio​n Required for Connection​-related Posts.

Post your issue there. Include tracert, ping, and modem signal levels in your post.
Our connection experts will help you try to resolve the problem.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

I'm not going to comment on any of the ISP's you asked about. I know nothing about them. I'm providing the above information so you can, if you choose to do so, possibly do anything to solve the connection issues you have while you are researching other ISP's.

And if the experts cannot help you, one of them can bring your issue to the attention of the forum admin, who is very good at setting the wheels in motion for problem resolution. Should you decide to post in the CHF, please let me know and I'll monitor your topic and will inform the admin myself if the connection experts cannot help you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 October 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

I use Road Runner and have had no issue with it, I can run a voip client and have multiple files downloading and uploading at once and havent had an issue. The only issue that I have had to date well it is 2 actually was they gave me a bad box but they replaced it for free in 1 day and the other was I was doing about 30 downloads at once and crashed their servers thus rendering the whole block with out cable, but they got that fixed in 24 hours. So I would Highly recommend Road Runner.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

Do not go with any 3G or satellite internet. Also keep in mind that not all companies are available to you.(and you will rarely have more then 1 cable company available, but its not uncommon to have multiple DSL companies).

I highly doubt 3 cable companies are able to service you.

That being said, my place of residence has recently started including satellite internet included in the rent, so I will be cancelling my AT&T very soon.

Are you sure its satellite? I kinda doubt that considering the limitations of satellite.

Edited by NpaMA, 24 October 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:21 PM

Are you sure its satellite? I kinda doubt that considering the limitations of satellite.

It's through BulkTV. I can see the new satellites on the roof of the main office.

http://speedtest.net/ gives a weird ISP name, however:

Posted Image

I don't care if it's by passenger pigeon, as long as it's faster than DSL. :thumbsup:

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:30 AM

That's not satellite. Lowest ping time you can get on satellite is 500-600ms. Average is closer to 1000ms.(1 second)

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

Sounds like land\tower based wireless. A far cry from satellite. Much more reliable IMO. Used Direcway\Hughes sat. for years.

Be sure to read the fine print in any contract. Many sat. and wireless based services do have a usage limit.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

That's not satellite. Lowest ping time you can get on satellite is 500-600ms. Average is closer to 1000ms.(1 second)

You might have something there. :thumbsup:

I dunno. Like I said, as long as it's faster (and now free for me!), I don't care.

Thanks for enlightening me, though. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users