Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Printer detected as a drive, not a printer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DJBenz

DJBenz

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hi Guys,

I had a bit of a malware infestation, which has been sorted out by m0le in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic351619.html

However, since disinfecting the PC I've found that my HP Photosmart A532 printer, connected via USB is not working correctly.

I have another HP Deskjet 930c on LPT1 which works fine.

Basically, Windows XP is seeing the A532 as a CDROM USB Device instead of an actual printer:

Posted Image

If I go to Printers and Faxes in XP and scan for attached printers, XP doesn't find the printer. I can browse files on the memory card in the printer no problem by using windows explorer, so the connection is OK.

I've tried uninstalling the CDROM USB Device and then scanning for the printer, but as soon as XP finds the device it installs as a CDROM USB again.

I also tried downloading the drivers from HP's website and installing them, but any attempt to do this just results in explorer locking up and giving a Dr Watson postmortem debugger error.

So any help would be most appreciated! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Ive seen times when a malware infection has messed with printer drivers. It wa an HP printer.
Completely uninstall the printer through add/remove programs
Disconnect the printer from the computer & restart
Reinstall the drivers & plug the printer in when prompted

Hope that sorts it out for you
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 DJBenz

DJBenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

The only thing that was removable in the Add/Remove programs window was the photosmart essentials software (Image management), which I removed anyway. The printer is still being detected as a drive and the driver file from HP gets no further than a brief window that says 'extracting', gets to 100%, then disappears only for nothing else to happen.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

This is worth a try

HP Print Diagnostics Utility

#5 DJBenz

DJBenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

I tried that first. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the HP Diagnostic Utility will only diagnose a printer that is connected to the PC. As the PC won't see the printer as a printer, only a drive, there's nothing to diagnose as far as its concerned.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

This is certainly a weird one (as evidenced by all the additional assistance I am getting from all the other advisors ((thanks a lot guys!)))

What happens if you remove the device from device manager, unplug the printer usb cable, uninstall the drivers completely, reboot for good measure, threaten to set fire to it, then reinstall & plug the usb cable in when prompted.

Have lighter fluid in hand when you threaten it.
Sometimes that helps :thumbsup:

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

Excluding the :thumbsup: Though always an option at the users discretion. :huh:

Let`s try a slight alteration on Eyesee`s suggestion. 1 Uninstall the software. 2 Uninstall the device from Device Manager. 3Shut off the PC. 4 Unplug the printer USB cable from the machine. 5 Restart PC. 6 Install the software, plugging in the printer when suggested.

At some point during all this and when convenient, cross-fingers. :huh:

Edited by ThunderZ, 28 October 2010 - 05:02 PM.

#8 DJBenz

DJBenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

What happens if you remove the device from device manager, unplug the printer usb cable, uninstall the drivers completely, reboot for good measure, threaten to set fire to it, then reinstall & plug the usb cable in when prompted.

It reinstalls as a drive. :huh:

I even tried holding a hammer and looking menacingly at the printer while doing it, but to no avail. :thumbsup:

BTW, how can I 'uninstall the drivers completely' as they seem to be dug in a system level, rather than being available in add/remove programs?

Also, I still can't get the HP driver package to do anything useful (ie install itself).

EDIT: Sorry ThunderZ we posted at the same time. Seems like the reinstallation of the drivers is the issue.

Edited by DJBenz, 28 October 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Sorry. Stepped away for a bite to eat. :thumbsup:

I`m thinking the driver has become corrupted. Even though you have uninstalled them the OS does retain a copy of them tucked away. What I believe is happening is the corrupt driver is repeatedly being re-installed.

Also, not quit sure what you mean by this statement.

Also, I still can't get the HP driver package to do anything useful (ie install itself).

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

Do you have a wireless router?

This printer can be installed wirelesly if you have a wireless router.
I wonder what would happen if we tried that?

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

I think you are not completely uninstalling the driver. Like someone else said.
In the link below are instructions and advice on how to do that in XP.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5842673_manually-uninstall-printer-drivers-xp.html
When a printer becomes error-prone or refuses to work entirely, one of the first courses of action is to check and reinstall the drivers. However, Windows tends to make it difficult to actually replace the drivers themselves. If you uninstall a printer, when you plug it back in, Windows will simply reload the same driver files from the same location, and if a corrupted driver file is to blame, you haven't done anything to isolate the true problem. Permanently deleting the driver files and reloading them from the original install disk, or a fresh driver download, is often the best way.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 DJBenz

DJBenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

Also, not quit sure what you mean by this statement.

That went back to what I said earlier in the thread:

the driver file from HP gets no further than a brief window that says 'extracting', gets to 100%, then disappears only for nothing else to happen.

Do you have a wireless router?This printer can be installed wirelesly if you have a wireless router.I wonder what would happen if we tried that?

OK, how do I go about doing that? I do have a wireless router.

I think you are not completely uninstalling the driver. Like someone else said. In the link below are instructions and advice on how to do that in XP.http://www.ehow.com/how_5842673_manually-uninstall-printer-drivers-xp.html

Thanks for the link, unfortunately removing the driver that way didn't make any difference. The HP Driver pack still won't install.

Edited by DJBenz, 28 October 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

For some reason the autorun.inf is not executing after double clicking the downloaded driver. If you still have the printer download then right click on it and see if you have an option to extract or unzip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users