Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk automatically cancelling?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kissthesky420

kissthesky420

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

I have this HP Pavilion dv2000, Vista Home Premium 32, when I power it on it automatically runs chkdsk on drive c. It says it is recommended to run but once the timer runs down to cancel it, it auto cancels by itself. Then it will try and boot up but gets to a screen where it is configuring updates 3 of 3. the % never moves on it and after about 2 min. it will restart the laptop and do it all over again. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I also tried restarting it from last known good configuration and it just restarted doing the same thing.

Edited by kissthesky420, 24 October 2010 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

Let chkdsk complete

On volumes marked as "dirty," Windows automatically runs chkdsk when the computer is restarted.

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query c:"
4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk c: /f /x"
6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more ckdisk.

http://askville.amazon.com/stop-CHKDSK-automatically-scheduled-reboot-Windows-XP-pro/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=208556

#3 kissthesky420

kissthesky420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the reply but I fixed the problem already. Also letting chkdsk finish was my problem.....it would not even start. I ended up talking to a Microsoft tech or there new India customer service...whatever, he took control of the computer and found that the SP2 was corrupting the registry with multiple downloads of SP2 and other updates due to compatibility issues of the Windows Update and SP2 and that particular laptop. So I basically had to reinstall Windows with integrated SP2. Worked and is updating like it should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users