Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp to visata

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deroian

deroian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop about 3 years old maybe older. It came with Vista installed on it and my son wiped the computer clean and loaded XP. It is running ok (although there is no sound except when USB headphones are plugged in). I also have a desktop that came with Vista installed. I have created recovery disks for that computer and am wondering if I can use them to restore the laptop with vista. I wasnt sure if I should post on XP site or Vista. The reason I want to put vista back on is because I would like to go to Windows 7 eventually and have heard that it is easier to do from vista. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

Your Acer should have a recovery partition that should be used to restore your copy of Vista.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

<<I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop about 3 years old...>>

Since it's a Toshiba system...my guess would be that you need Toshiba recovery/restore disks...to install Vista today.

<<I also have a desktop that came with Vista installed.>>

Manufacturer and model?

You are aware that recovery/restore disks...contain drivers that relate to that particular system only? Such disks are intended for use on the system they match.

<<...and have heard that it is easier to do from vista...>>

It's probably easier and better...to go from XP to Win 7, IMO. Win 7 is a clean install by doing such and there is no debris left over from a previous O/S that can gum up Win 7.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users