Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows no longer boots up after malware virus

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 broseph

broseph

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

So on Friday night, my sister got some sort of virus on my computer. I ran adaware and found 4 threats and got rid of them. Then, after the restart all the programs on my desktop stopped working. You could click on things and it would start to load but then would just stop. I couldn't install anything then either. So, I was told to try taking my hard drive out of that computer and putting it into another and running malware bytes on it. Malware bytes came up with nothing so I put the hard drive back into the computer and started saving what I needed onto external drives. After that, I did a system restore back to the factory settings and now Windows won't load. It loads up to the swirling colors that form the windows logo and then stops and says that an error occurred and that it can't boot windows.

I really need help here, I'm a college student with a little bit of knowledge of computers but not a ton. I need help though because I have papers due and tests to take in the next few days.

edit: this may actually be in the wrong section since it was malware/virus related at first. if it is, i apologize. I'm new and desperate.

Edited by hamluis, 24 October 2010 - 03:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Can you boot into safe mode (any variation)?

Did you use restore/recovery disks...or do you have a restore/recovery partition on the system?

Louis

#3 broseph

broseph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

it's a Dell Inspiron. it won't boot into safe mode either. it just restarts and comes up to a screen that gives the options of "launch setup repair" or "start windows normally"

if you pick "start windows normally", it just restarts again and comes up with the same two options.

I didn't use disks because the computer didn't come with any. it had a partition but the partition didn't show up once the virus started. it disappeared from the My Computer menu completely.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

What model Inspiron?

Louis

#5 broseph

broseph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

either the 570 or 580 desktop. can't remember which.

#6 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hi, broseph :huh:

:huh:

When you attempt to restore the computer to factory settings, changes are made to the system and hard drive, that if incomplete, it will be nearly impossible to recover.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive and a CD to burn.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Next download driver.sh to your USB drive
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to report.txt

Please note - all text entries are case sensitive
Copy and paste the report.txt for my review

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#7 broseph

broseph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

no luck. when you boot from the cd it says "ISOLINUX 3.82" and then "could not find kernel image: linux" then it says boot: and when you hit enter it just repeats "could not find kernel image:linux"

#8 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

Perhaps a bad download or burn. This is the contents of my CD. Please compare with the one you burned.

Posted Image

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#9 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

it's a Dell Inspiron. it won't boot into safe mode either. it just restarts and comes up to a screen that gives the options of "launch setup repair" or "start windows normally"

if you pick "start windows normally", it just restarts again and comes up with the same two options.

I didn't use disks because the computer didn't come with any. it had a partition but the partition didn't show up once the virus started. it disappeared from the My Computer menu completely.

Did you by any chance selected the "Launch Setup Repair"

btn_donate_SM.gif

#10 broseph

broseph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

I have selected that. the only options it really gives are the restore options that don't work and a memory diagnostic.

as far as what the cd should have on it, its too late for me to check. my access to the clean computer had ended for the night. I'm making this post from my phone.

#11 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:19 PM

Very well let me know when ready. I hope the System Restore to Factory Settings hasn't affect the contents of the drive.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#12 broseph

broseph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

as long as I can get it back in working order, I don't care. I managed to transfer all my school documents and files to an external before doing the restore to factory settings. the only problem here really is that Dell's help on this issue is non existant. No manner of arguing or discussing the problem with them seems to have any effect on their desire to make me pay them 200 bucks for their assistance despite the fact the the computer isn't even 6 months old and is still under warranty.

as soon as I've got access to a clean computer, ill update the situation. for now, thank you so much at least attempting to help so far.

#13 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

You are welcome.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#14 broseph

broseph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:34 AM

Posted Image

that's an image of whats on the disk after I burn it. any ideas?

#15 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,946 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

I consulted the developer and he agrees that it may be possible there are missing components due to a bad download or a bad burn.

Would it be possible for you to download the file once again and burn another CD?

Thanks.

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users