Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

This is not a problem but a question.

Question is: What good hard drive scanners you all can advice to me?

Is there a internal program in Windows XP to check hard drives?
Because in two start ups I was warned about integrity check in drive D: CHKDSK program checked it and found it was ok.

How to put event viewer warnings in here because I have Finnish Windows XP and those error reports are in Finnish. Do i translate them or what?

One thing what is stressing and I want to complain :thumbsup: here is this new technology. I have Windows 3.11 machine and IT works fine. Also I have Windows 95 machine and IT works fine too. So I guess that the old technology rules and new doesn't :flowers:

Edited by 34BLEEP00XX, 24 October 2010 - 01:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

<<How to put event viewer warnings in here...>>

Don't bother.

Warnings are generally administrative announcements that require no action by the user.

OTOH...errors indicate something requiring attention.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

The chkdsk /r command in XP...checks the file system and the hard drive (somewhat). It can overcome some situations, but it's not designed to replace a hard drive diagnostic. The manufacturers of the major hard drives...generally provide a diagnostic utility for checking their respective products.

If you see Event Viewer errors citing a drive...any drive...you need to pay attention immediately, IMO.

English is the international language of choice, last time I checked :thumbsup:. If you want to address those who can read Finnish and refrain from suggestions from those who cannot...post in Finnish :flowers:.

Louis

#3 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

One event view error looked like this:

Source :ntfs
Class :Disc
Event :55

Hard drive file structure is damaged or unstable. Use CHKDSK utility in drive D:

I had also run Avast! in drive D: .It shows no errors.

Edited by 34BLEEP00XX, 24 October 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#4 InvisiUnknown

InvisiUnknown

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

You can also check the hard drive itself to make sure that it is also functioning properly.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
~InvisiUnknown

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

OK...you need to understand a few things.

NTFS is the file system used by a user...on which the O/S is installed.

An error in NTFS...is not the same...as a hard drive error.

Errors which reflect problems with either NTFS or the hard drive itself...are an item of concern.

The chkdsk /r command can overcome some file system problems, but not all.

IME, when I have an NTFS problem that chkdsk /r cannot correct, I wind up deleting that partition and reinstalling Windows.

Sooo...try the chkdsk /r command and hope for the best :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

I still have warranty time for this hard drive. Is manufacturer here to blame or what?

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

Doubtful

Run chkdsk /r
It could take some time so please do not do anything else until it completes
It may well take over an hour+
Let it fix any errors that it finds
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 InvisiUnknown

InvisiUnknown

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hi Leurgy
I was just pointing out that sometimes when there is corruption on the drive there is a chance that the hardware itself might not be working at 100%. I was just covering the bases.

Sorry for interfering.

~InvisiUnknown
~InvisiUnknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users