Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to open a Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carpediem12

carpediem12

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

I was wondering what is the safe procedure to open a laptop safely I know you should disconnect the mains supply and take the battery out....What else is important to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

Are you trying to dismantle the whole laptop? If you are can you please give the model of the laptop.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

Ya, they are all different, on my HP I have to remove the screws to the keyboard that are located on the bottom of the laptop, remove the keyboard, and then the screws on the bottom plates can be undone, and the rest of the laptop goes from their, its a pain in the rear, and every laptop is a bit different.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 carpediem12

carpediem12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

Are you trying to dismantle the whole laptop? If you are can you please give the model of the laptop.

No just need to open it and look inside

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

can I ask why? probably the easiest way is to simply remove the keyboard-in most laptops, theres screws on the bottom of the laptop that hold the keyboard in, though locating which ones are keyboard, which ones are motherboard and other components can be trickys, but if you can get the keyboard off should have access to most of the motherboard and CPU, while the hard drive and memory should be accessible via access panels underneath the computer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 carpediem12

carpediem12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

can I ask why? probably the easiest way is to simply remove the keyboard-in most laptops, theres screws on the bottom of the laptop that hold the keyboard in, though locating which ones are keyboard, which ones are motherboard and other components can be trickys, but if you can get the keyboard off should have access to most of the motherboard and CPU, while the hard drive and memory should be accessible via access panels underneath the computer.

Well the reason I want to open it is to try my hand at some home repairs so to save the cost of paying for repairs at the shop.
I have watched videos of people doing it on youtube and read a lot of things recently so I will just undo all the necessary screws I was thinking more of things like avoiding static discharges and how to go about getting rid of any electric currents that might be in the laptop so that its not dangerous.Have you ever opened one up?

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

I have, and I tend to avoid it because its a long and tedious process-and depending on the laptop can be difficult and you need to make sure everything goes back exactly the way you found it, forget to reaatch a ground wire or put the wrong screw in wrong spot can cause damage. Static discharge is indeed a concern as there is very little inside the laptop case to touch to ground yourself out-so your best off dismantling it over a linoleum floor barefoot, preferably with say a metal heater nearby or sink, something metal to touch to ground yourself out and make sure you don't move your feet while doing it.

picard5.jpg

#8 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Depending on the model of the laptop, you could find service manuals on their website with step by step instructions for your specific model.

There are Anti Static Wrist Strap With Grounding Wires available here, or at a local computer store that you can use to keep yourself grounded.

Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users