Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network connection to a tv

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 railroadbill

railroadbill

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

I posted a similar topic on the External Hardware forum, but got little response so perhaps this forum is more appropriate.

I want to be able to stream (if that's the correct term)- from my laptop - data, such as Powerpoint presentations or photos, to my wide screen tv located in an adjoining room. Thus, I want to do this wireless.

I am currently connected to my home network and the internet with a Linksys WRT 610N dual band router. My home network consists of 4 external devices (printer, hd, scanner, dvd writer) connected to the router with an Iogear Net Sharestation using a 4-port USB device. This device is maxed out at 4 devices.

My tv does not have WI-FI, but does have an ethernet port. The cheap & easy solution would be to take the laptop into the tv room and connect it to the tv with an HDMI cable. But that's not what I want to do, for various reasons including clutter.

A search on Google for video streaming devices brought up many hits. While most of the devices provide wireless capability, they are line of sight only. And the few that will go thru walls have other limitations like lower quality resolution.

Does anyone here know if a Linksys WET 610N wireless ethernet bridge could be used?

What I don't need is internet access on the tv. For streaming movies, my Blu-ray player is WI-FI enabled.

Thanks

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

You received a reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic354931.html/page__view__findpost__p__1985425

Did you look into that option provided by Sneakycyber? Please keep your responses in that thread as this is not really a networking issue.

#3 railroadbill

railroadbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

I'm sorry, but "have no experience with this" just does not do me any good.

#4 HighDesertBum

HighDesertBum

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:36 AM

You might be better of posting this to http://www.avsforum.com/.

They're more inclined for this type of application.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users