Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer stops working and restarts repetedly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 momo56

momo56

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

Windows Explorer has been restarting repeatedly every few seconds. It started happening about a day after I spilled water on my keyboard and had to switch to an old Compaq keyboard. I started to think that it might be something in the keyboards drivers that's doing it. I searched my computer for Compaq and found this in an .xml document even though I don't use a compaq any more,
<!-- CPD-CompaqDesktop
-->
- <DataContent Brand="CPD" Dist="CompaqDesktop">
- <PlatformPackages>

Someone else suggested I use combo-fix, but I'm not sure. I already tried entering sfc /scannow into the command prompt and it come up with no results.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dodes

dodes

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

Reboot into Safe Mode and see if the same behavior happens there. I recommend F8 over msconfig to get into Safe Mode in your case, since explorer crashes every few seconds may get in your way. Reboot, and start spamming F8. You'll see a menu appear - choose Safe Mode.

While in Safe Mode, press Ctrl + Alt + Del and in the task manager, click on the file menu and choose "New Task (Run...)". Type eventvwr.msc and press enter.

In the left hand side of the Event Viewer window under "Windows Logs", open the "Application" log. If these crashes are happening every few seconds then related events shouldn't be too hard to find. Also check the "System" log to see if you can find any additional information. These logs may reveal more about what's causing these explorer issues.

Additionally, please provide more information about your computer (make, model, etc).
Windows 7 Pro x64
Biostar TH55B-HD
WD Corsair Black 500GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
G-Skill 2x2GB 1066 DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users