Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sp3 auto update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 quigonmom

quigonmom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hi , i just reinstalled windows xp pro sp2 (oem version ) on my pc. (a box with a biostar m7ncg400 ver7 motherboard ) i repartition /formated the hard drive and it went beautifully until i try to install sp3 with auto update... i started the update and walked away. after about an hr i came back. it was still in the same place. my mouse wouldn't move.so i assumed it was frozen. i restarted it and got blue screen saying start up was reverting to original settings. i let i go until this am. and screen still the same so i restarted it again now i have nothing ...a black screen any ideas?
thank u

ps: i also have firefox as my browser

Edited by quigonmom, 24 October 2010 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Well...you can download SP3 and install it from your desktop.

I cannot explain the black screen...no point in me guessing wildly.

What bothers me...you have these problems right after a clean install...which would make me suspect hardware problems.

That board is pretty old...could be hard drive, PSU, etc.

I would erase the hard drive...run a diagnostic on it, then (if it passes) attempt a clean install. If necessary, you can probably use the appropriate diagnostic utility to wipe the drive.

I would slipstream SP3 into the files from your CD, Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Louis

What was the reason...that you attempted the reinstall of XP?

Edited by hamluis, 24 October 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#3 quigonmom

quigonmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

I'll answer the last ? first.. I reinstalled windows because it's an old pc someone gave me...it was such a mess that's all I could think of to do.(he also gave me the windows cd):thumbsup: since my last post; I rebooted from the cd, did a system restore..now I'm back to where I started before trying to download sp3... I checked out the sp3 tutorial on this site and I did have my anti virus on. Now after system restore I haven't set up anything. just went to micro/update site..think i should try again ? or try slip streaming ? btw if i have to.... what utility would I use to wipe the drive clean,..there was nothing really on it ..i think he tried to do a reinstall before giving it to me.

thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

Well...IMO, the first thing I would do...is create the updated XP CD...assuming that this CD you mention is a valid, licensed MS Genuine XP CD.

If it is not, then things need to be approached differently.

Louis

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hi -
If you just wish to update you do not need to actually Un/re install , just over write your current version if there are no Major problems -
Here is the link I have used for some time when updating to SP3 -
Microsoft update Link - It is not a fast process and make sure you get all/any updates required -
EDIT -
You would usually slipstream if you went from SP1 to SP3 , but you mention you already have SP2 installed -
I can still run sfc /scannow etc. from SP1 CD's even with SP3 installed -
Note : As long as hamluis has no objections

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 24 October 2010 - 04:38 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

Well...not every system goes through the same procedures...when updating to SP3.

A system that has been self-built...can follow generic guidance. A system that is made by any OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) needs to follow the suggestions of the system manufacturer.

Hence...my questions re this XP Pro SP2 disk.

As for SP levels...if you can run sfc /scannow with an SP1 disk, while your system reflects SP3...I would have to assume that your system is set up so that the command draws files from the i386 folder, rather than from the CD.

Slipstreaming is done purely for the convenience of having a CD that reflects many of the critical installs...that otherwise would have to installed if using an older CD for a clean or repair install of XP. As it is, a user with SP3 included will still have over 100 additional critical updates to install...and be better protected from malware vulnerabilities that have been overcome since issue of the older disk.

Louis

#7 quigonmom

quigonmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

Thank you all so much... what I ended up doing was booting from the cd, doing a system restore, and downloading sp3 through updates BEFORE I added antivirus it worked out fine...although I was nervous about being unprotected and connected to the Internet.... Luis to answer ur question . the cd I installed was xp pro w/ sp 1& 2 on it I don't know if the commands drew from the 1386 folder i dont have an sp1 disc is that what you ment? .. that confused me (which proves I have a so much to learn) could you elaborate? I DO know I had to reinstall sm bus, Ethernet controller, and on board audio drivers ...

It's running very well so far ..loading fast I like it it has tons of room to expand dual layer cd reader/writer lots of extras.. the box is cool.. clear on one side and lights up blue. i think it was a demo for a trade show.. think i should look into up grading?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

Well...so you have a working system now, with SP3 installed?

The comments about how how sfc /scannow works...can be more logically presented by any number of webpages explaining such.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

<<I DO know I had to reinstall sm bus, Ethernet controller, and on board audio drivers ...>>

Then it would appear (to me) that you did a clean install...the only time I install those drivers is after doing a clean install.

A repair install would have left all installed drivers intact, along with programs installed and data files. A repair install provides a new set of system files and removes critical updates which were installed after the SP reflected on the CD.

If I do a repair install of my system today...which has SP3 and all subsequent critical updates through today...all critical updates which have been installed since SP3 will be removed as part of the repair.

Bottom line: If your system is working properly and all critical updates are installed...that's what you want, you can move on to something else :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users