Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found a new trojan not on the list

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kim M

Kim M

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

I was attacked yesterday with a trojan. Well immediately I ran the Malawarebytes program to clean it up. It found a few things but my computer was still weird (pop ups on websites that never had them before asking for my personal info) so I checked my registry and found this: rundll32 "C:blah blah blah... DpiSvr32.dll" CreateProcessNotify

I looked at the startup list on this site and didn't find it (did find one that was just dpi.exe) and Malawarebytes didn't pick up on it. I deleted the entry and my problem was fixed, but thought I would let others know of this one, and maybe the moderators can add it to the list so that it would help others if they got infected with it. I definitely can't tell you what kind of virus it was, but it created pop ups on my financial pages that wouldn't allow me access until I entered my personal info like SS#, credit card, etc. That's when I knew I still had something that the Malawarebytes program didn't find.

Kim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:46 AM

<<I looked at the startup list on this site and didn't find it...>>

Why would you expect to?

The startup list is intended to be a compilation (not THE compilation) of some common startup items. There is no comprehensive list anywhere on the Web that I know of, since there are new items every day (new programs mean new items). Not to mention malware items.

Nor is there a definitive, exhaustive list of malware items...similar reason, in part.

Any attempt to track a startup item...always has to be supplemented by a Google search, IMO.

Louis

Sounds to me like you need a trip to Am I Infected land, but that's up to you. I will comment that many users who wind up in one of the malware forum...think that their systems were devoid of malware...by virtue of the their own efforts...until otherwise is proved in one of the malware forums.

Edited by hamluis, 24 October 2010 - 09:50 AM.

#3 Kim M

Kim M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

Oh, I thought I was being informative, I guess I'm just being a pain in the butt. How do I delete my post?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Hi Kim M, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Unless you are absolutely sure that you are no longer infected, I would suggest opening a topic in the Am I Infected forum were our highly trained malware removal team can help you clean your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kim M

Kim M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

Ok, I didn't realize I was posting in the wrong forum, thank you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

This wasn't necessarily the wrong forum for this topic. But the Am I Infected forum would be the appropriate forum to address infections. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users