Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

android OS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dialout

dialout

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

I saw a little netbook at Kmart the other day, and I am not familiar with them at all, so I could use a little advice. They where $100 ( i know it is cheap but I need to buy a couple of them) and I thought it would make a good present for my kids to get them each one.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_020W025343510001P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

However they will want to watch videos on it such as you tube, netflix, or hulu...and play online games on it. like addicting games or max games.

I don't think this will be able to do any of that. It looks like it is mostly for checking email, and IM functions. pretty much like a big cell phone. ( i realize it is the OS for a cell phone)

I did see in some articles that a silverlight plugin was in the works...so would this allow netflix to play on it...and that an update to the adobe flash was also planned...would this allow the games to work?

If so is this thing worth buying to wait for upgrades? or does anyone know of device of comparable price that would work better?

Edited by Blade Zephon, 24 October 2010 - 09:54 AM.
Moved to "Buying a New Computer". ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

what kind of games are we talking about? solitair? this thing will do pretty much everything a cell phone like say, the droid X or the iphone would be able to do, but not much more. Some internet movies, but nothing that requires flash, netflix is a maybe since they have a cell phone app for that, but I can't garentee it, this is like you said a big cell phone or extra large pocket organizer. Designed to check email, basic surfing, keeping a calender, and the like.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dialout

dialout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:28 PM

the games would be the basic internet games like you would find on yahoo, max games, addicting games and the likes.

would it play video from sources such as hulu or you tube?

I cant even seem to find one at the local Kmart or Sears even though they advertise it...i would like to get one in hand and see what it can actually do, but for right now I have to rely on you guy's opinions.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:40 PM

There are netflix and Youtube apps for Android (google owns youtube, they make sure that app works, just not the High Def videos currently). Be warned Android 1.6 is on the way out for App developers 2.1 (Eclair), and 2.2 (Froyo) are the current favorites with 75% of devices running those versions and an upcoming new version early next year (either 2.3 or 3.0 speculation goes both ways).

Hulu currently does not support Android and that netbook states it does not support "streaming Flash" (gonna go out on a limb and say that addictive games and max games are flash based).

As for not being able to find it in stores, Walmart offered a cheap linux based PC a few years back and they sold out within a week never to be seen again, they are out of stock currently online tried getting a rain check either online or in store and see when they say they can get them in if you decide to buy one.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users