Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet port issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tikalora

tikalora

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Hello,

I'm not sure when this happened, but all of a sudden the lights on my ethernet port went out and I could no longer connect to the internet. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact date this happened so I don't know if a software update caused it.

I run a Toshiba Satellite E-205 model with Windows 7. Windows is up to date.
I have an Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Connector. All drivers are up to date.
Network settings says the port is enabled and should be working properly but it won't recognize the cord at all. And yes, this cord works on my roommate's computer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Have you checked your device manager to see if windows is reporting a problem with the device? Is this NIC on the motherboard or in an expansion slot?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 tikalora

tikalora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

All windows says is "Plug in a cord!" Completely useless.

I'm definitely not experienced when it comes to computers, so I don't think I can answer your second question.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

device manager is accessed by right clicking my computer choose properties and then the hardware tab then select device manager. Under the network adapters is your adapter (i.e. NIC) shown with an exclamation point next to it or is it simply listed there?

If the Adapter(NIC) is located on the motherboard it will be located towards the top on the back of the computer next to the USB and such. If it is an expansion card it will be located lower on the back in a seperate slot.
Mark Twain

#5 tikalora

tikalora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

It's simply listed. The port is on the back next to my charger.

I took a closer look at my port and noticed that one of the wires might be bent... could this be the cause of my problem?

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:50 PM

definitely if something bent on of the wires in the port and it is not making proper contact with the patch cord no connectio will be made. If you plan to try to bend it back yourself be very careful to not bend the other connecting wires for one and be gentle since they can break off as well.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users