Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 indicaman00

indicaman00

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

i have a dell d610 w\ xp pro yesterday it wouldn't bring up any web pages it would prompt me to run diag. i shut down wireless router and retried it would show connected on bottom right of screen but would not bring up internet. at that point a restarted the laptop no it will show the dell itro screen then goes black. have hit f8 tried to start in all diff modes avail and nothing. any suggestions??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hoothoot

Hoothoot

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Several questions:
- How old is your laptop? Maybe it's hardware issue?
- By hitting f8, you tried to enter BIOS or what? I don't know what you mean by "diff modes"

Edited by Hoothoot, 24 October 2010 - 08:54 AM.

#3 indicaman00

indicaman00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

~4 years old, i do not think the hard drive is firing up properly the hard drive indicator light will come on for a few seconds then goes off, as far as the BIOS? sorry computers are no my profession. i hit f8 when the dell logo appears when you first turn it on and it will give you the option to start in safe mode, last known good config start normally etc.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

F8 opens the Advanced boot options. Safe Mode/s, Last known good configuration...

Do you know anyone that has a XP Pro installation CD that you could borrow? If you do, try doing a repair installation. I'm not familiar with all of the options for Dell recovery or restore, but it looks like these revert your computer back to the way it came from the factory. This would mean losing all of the files and non-Windows programs and applications. A repair installation will not affect you files or non-Windows programs and applications.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

I believe, Dells have non-destructive recovery option, which is more, or less like repair installation.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Hoothoot

Hoothoot

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:41 PM

I just want to say - F8 doesn't always enter Safe Mode. On my PC you have to hit F5 to do it, F8 opens BIOS.

#7 indicaman00

indicaman00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

i have not been able to find a xp install cd yet got a few more people to ask though. and to The Coolest BC Computer
do you know where to get instructions on non-destructive recovery. thank you all for your replies so far

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

http://www.runqa.com/desktops/345-desktops-5.html

when you boot the computer and it's on the black screen, if you look on the blind, you should see an option on the peak that might say something resembling "Press F10 for Setup". If you have that remedy on your black boot screen, afterwards you will need to use that picking to restore windows pay for to default / factory settings.

You might gain two F10 options 1. Non Destructive Recovery or 2. Destructive Recovery.

The Non-Destructive taking back will save adjectives of your files and will repair just the window portion of the system file.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 indicaman00

indicaman00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:16 AM

found a boot disk and repaired origional xp. now it will not let me update from sp-1. i figure i got a nasty virus i am currently running avast and it has not found anything. have any more sugg

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:21 AM

To make sure, your computer is clean, I suggest, you start new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:30 AM

found a boot disk and repaired origional xp. now it will not let me update from sp-1.

Microsoft (Windows) Updates no longer support anything less than XP with Service Pack 3. The Service Packs have to be downloaded manually from the Microsoft web site and then manually installed. Once you install SP3, then you will be able to use the Microsoft Updates feature.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users