Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP..In compressing FILES

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 5thForce

5thForce

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:11 AM

I know There are many softwares available like 7z winrar and Uharc to compress files..I am requesting here abot how to highly compress file....does anyone know how to super compress files, Recently I came across was GTA Vice City (Pc game)compressed to around 230 MB from 1.5 GB... and it was working perfect without data loss...
I want to compress MOVIES AND PERSONAL VIDEOS so it consume less space on my HARD DISK

PLEASE HELP

PLEASE REPLY
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:38 AM

Different types of files vary greatly on how much they can be compressed, and what compression methods are effective.

A game is different material to a movie. A movie has already had considerable data saving processes applied to it - typically sound is highly compressed, frames are stored as key frames & difference data etc. There's not much redundancy for a lossless (which is what you want) process to work with.

Commercial software which claims to be able to achieve huge compression incorporates numerous different algorithms, and analyses each file to decide what compression system to use. Naturally they don't give away anything about just how they achieve it (assuming their claims are valid).

Edited by Platypus, 24 October 2010 - 04:39 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users