Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Removal Training Program Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Quiott

Quiott

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

I would suggest for this program that if a class does open or spots become available that an automatic e-mail or message can be sent to those who request it. This way any one who would be interested could be notified quickly.

ie -- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/admissions/

~Quiott

Edited by Quiott, 24 October 2010 - 02:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

An interesting suggestion which I will take to the staff. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

Interesting idea in theory. Unfair idea in implementation it appears. This would unfairly shift the chances to those in the queue who are not traveling or have regular access to their email. As well as those who are logged into the site more than those who are more casual visitors or have jobs that do not allow or have regular computer access. Since we are accessible worldwide, the time that the message is sent would factor into who would respond more timely. For example if the message is sent at 5 p.m. EDT, thats midnight in Istanbul and 8 a.m. in Sydney. Not a fair chance to respond for some.

The current system we have while not perfect, works with the self paced trainee curriculum we employ.

Your idea has some merit, however the implementation would raise a whole new set of obstacles to be mitigated.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Quiott

Quiott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:50 AM

Thank you for replying I understand your points. As I understand it at this point the system simply is classes open at a random time (to the outside observer) and spots to become open are filled by a passerby who happens to line up with that time. Should happens-chance play such a strong role?

Other questions which could be raised are in the past what time has the class become open? Are they nearly the same time -- and if so does the unfairness to those residing in istanbul or Australia already exist?

Thank you again for considering my suggestion.

On a related note: I would suggest adding slightly more information in the "No available slots. Please check back at a later time." section. A rough estimate of when a slot will become open would be nice.

Edited by Quiott, 01 November 2010 - 01:57 AM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

The Malware Training program is a "work-at-your-own-pace" program, so it would be impossible to predict when openings would become available.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 HappyLibrary

HappyLibrary

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

Apologies for bringing up something so old - but I have to agree.

I checked the admissions program page fairly regularly for a month before giving up. Now that my first semester of university is over, I wanted to maybe try see if I could do it this semester. Again, it says no slots are available.

Some indication of how many slots are taken/progress of those currently taking the slots would be good (people could use tickboxes to indicate when they have finished a section, even if they are working at their own pace). I think an e-mail system would be better than nothing. Slots could appear to be full to random-passers by, and those that have been waiting in a queue could be e-mailed with a pass code to enter the course so that no-one else can "steal their spot" - as they have been waiting for it, after all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users