Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigE

bigE

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I have to get a new motherboard... my problem is, I don't know what my old one is???

When I turn on the computer I get nothing on the monitor.

I get 3 beeps & that's it.

A little history on why I think I need a new motherboard... I was told that I needed more RAM (512) to run/play this game, I called up bestbuy to see what I needed..

Told them that I have 256 now & needed 512... The salesperson said that I could get 1 512 & put that in & I'd be playing in no time..

Replacing the 256 with the 512 I plugged everything back in... noticed a burning smell & then seen an Orange glow on the motherboard, quickly unplugged it but I knew it was too late:(

How do I find out which motherboard to get??? Is there something, somewhere on the motherboard that tells which it is?

thanks for any help everyone.

Bob

" bigE "

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:02 AM

Hi

Sounds like the motherboard is knackered from what you say. Be VERY CAREFUL IF you chance switching on again.

Presumably you don't have a motherboard manual. You will need to open PC up to find out manufacturer & model number. UNPLUG from mains first!!

Need more info about PC specs/case/power supply etc. and what your budget is.

Regards

Bryan
Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:08 PM

http://www.techadvice.com/tech/B/BeepCode.htm

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/amiB3-c.html

AMI, Award, Phoenix Beep Codes - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/

Louis

#4 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:43 PM

Hi

Agreed that the 3 beeps indicates memory. You said you REPLACED the 256 with 512. You COULD remove the 512 and plug the original 256 back in BUT CHECK THE MOTHERBOARD first for possible damage. UNPLUG from mains before you open the case.

Regards

Bryan
Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

#5 bigE

bigE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:45 PM

Thanks so far everyone were getting there;)

As suggested about switching out the 512 back to the 256 I tried & still get the beeping.

I have a little more information about the system for you all...

Dell Dimension 4550
Pentium 4
2.0GHz
9NZZ321
256MB DDR SDRAM at 266MHz
Windows XP Home
Intel Pro 100M Intergrated PCI NIC Card
16x DVD-Rom Drive
40x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive

On the back of the motherboard I see the following:

>ASSY-4U166
INTEL P/N A99345-001
ASSY-3U165
INTEL P/N A99343-001

Again thanks for everyones help in trying
:thumbsup:

Bob

" bigE "

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

You've got a Dell, they generally use custom motherboards (yours appears to be from Intel). You'll need to go to the Dell site for information - the little that I was able to find out said that you had an Intel chipset - but didn't even mention the motherboard.

Generally, their mobo's are expensive - you might want to consider reusing your parts in a new case with a new motherboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users