Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help rebooting vista manually (command prompt)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ugh-gar

Ugh-gar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:31 PM

All I know is that it was a trojan. I don't know what site my brother went to but he said the last thing he saw from avast was something "trojan". The next thing, windows explorer keeps restarting. And I figured it might as well be about time I fully reboot this laptop. Plus I got all my files backed up to an external hard drive.

I managed to use the downloaded iso'ed recovery disk (x32 thing - sorry not techy-smart here).I got as far as restarting and booting the disk and choosing the OS. Then the available options.

I've already tried the first 3. Start up repair, System Restore and complete restore is no good. The restores are no good mainly 'cause I did not turn on system restore, which is really sad. I remembered turning it off in trying to get rid of another virus before.

Anyway, I'm using this site (by neosmart) as a guide to rebooting my vista. After telling you guys my attempted tries with the top 3, I had no choice but to go to "Step Three", manually rebooting- of that guide's page, which is commanding prompt mabob.

I clicked on it and it had yaddiyada on top with "X:\Sources\".

The site said to "Replace x: in the commands below with the letter to your CD drive as detected by the Windows Recovery environment".

So my CD drive is "E" so I'd basically did:
X:\Sources/bootrec.exe /fixmbr
E:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

Then it showed me different uses and functions that can be successfully used or something. From fixmbr to boot to scan os to rebuildcd. Is it suppose to show me that after?

Even at that point, I can't really punch in the next step:

del C:\boot\bcd
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

It just tells me incorrect command or something like I don't geddit!

Can someone abbreviate Step three's instructions even more to my level of understanding 'cause I have a feeling I missed out on something.

I also then read the "warning" note from that page and realized I may not have something that I should have? It said :

Warning the instructions below assume that the program bootsect.exe is present on the booted Vista recovery disk. It was included on earlier distributions of Vista, but was subsequently omitted. If your DVD contains a copy in the boot folder, the instructions can be followed as listed. If not (and our downloadable CD images do not) you will need to pick up a copy elsewhere before proceeding.
You can find a copy in the Bin folder of the EasyBCD download, or in the HnS download if you already have either of those NST products. You can also find other web sources by use of a search engine.

So obviously I have the downloaded copy which obviously means I don't have whatever it's telling me I DON'T UNDERSTAND GRAESUGD someone please help me.

I'm on safe mode right and I have to switch in and out everytime I have to check e-mail or do the recovery procedure and it's a real time killer. I'd really like to get this over with too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:02 AM

Ok, welcome to BC. I know these problems are a pain so I will try and help you (I have been there a lot.) I have never used x32 but what you are doing is difficult. I have done it with another program, BartPE, but it is very difficult and everything is probably full of viruses if the trojan crippled your bootloader. I don't think it is worth it in your case and since you are backed up on external you should erase the hard drive and reinstall vista.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

<<...managed to use the downloaded iso'ed recovery disk...>>

Downloaded...from where?

What's the name of the file downloaded?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 Ugh-gar

Ugh-gar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

Ok, welcome to BC. I know these problems are a pain so I will try and help you (I have been there a lot.) I have never used x32 but what you are doing is difficult. I have done it with another program, BartPE, but it is very difficult and everything is probably full of viruses if the trojan crippled your bootloader. I don't think it is worth it in your case and since you are backed up on external you should erase the hard drive and reinstall vista.

That sounds a lot less stressful and more stress free. I think I'm gonna give that a try. So I'm simply should just go to safe mode first and delete the hard drive from there first or just go straight to re-installing? And no partition thing would be necessary would it?

<<...managed to use the downloaded iso'ed recovery disk...>>

Downloaded...from where?

What's the name of the file downloaded?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

I downloaded them from here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

EDIT: Alright so I decided to just go straight to re-installing it, which might be a wrong idea (Correct me if I'm wrong). I put in my product key (and correct too) but after that clicking "next", I get this error message saying that it can't open the required file from E:\Sources\Install.wim, also said it didn't exist? Gruahhh man I'm always hitting to a brick wall here and there. The error code by the way was 0x80070002 , which I'm gonna look up now .

Edit again: I think it's because my recovery disk simply doesn't have it. Reading through this page in finding that out. I'd have to use the actual Vista Business (Forgot to mention that's the kind of Vista I have), which I don't have since I wasn't provided with the DVD GSDFHJG. no way I'm buying it. I'm even trying to go as far as b.it torr.enting it (I never download) but it's not even downloading at all. I think I'm just gonna have to move back to "Step Three" with the command prompts.

Just how do I enter a whole new field of command prompt when "X:\Sources>" keeps popping back up? I can't even replace the X and stuff.

Edited by Ugh-gar, 24 October 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:26 PM

sorry it took me so long to write back, didnt notice you posted.

It doesn't make sense that the backup disk would not have the neccessary files to back up. Are you booting to the disc or running it through windows? If you boot to disk, usually it sees your partition and asks you to erase it. You say yes, and then install from there. If you are booting from the disc I don't know what to tell you at this time, if not try it out. Good luck.

#6 booky0091

booky0091

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

why dn't u install new one easy i mean its better than fixing it it's kind like virus so u will need to
check on ur drive so it better to ge new window if u need windows i also can give u my registry key or what ever u need

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users