Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 2011 Update ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

I received a updater from AVG and clicked the save to button, it is for AVG Free, . .

I think? Anyway, when I started to install it I noticed it is over 100 MB's

Is anyone else getting this ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 captaintravis

captaintravis

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

i decided not to do it

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

It downloads the whole of the AVG 2011 Free edition installer which is 136MB in size. So actually it uninstalls the old version and then installs 2011 edition.
You can download the offline AVG 2011 Free edition installer from Softpedia and can use it for installing again if needed.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AVG-Free-Edition-Download-6858.html

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:42 AM

Hello Romeo,

Mind if I ask, . .

I still have a LAN Line, many installations give you an idea of how much time that takes,

Might you have an idea, what I'd be looking at ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

Jove, I do not know the download speed of your LAN line. But on a 1Mbps line it takes around 14-15 minutes to download AVG 2011 Free.

#6 hattah

hattah

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:52 AM

Jove
I have used AVG Free ed. for a long time. I just spent the better part of the morning taking AVG2011 out. It functioned well for about 1.5 weeks and yesterday no longer could update Vdb. Lost all components except the License (that I cannot register) Identity protection (which I cannot disable) and an Update manager that has a 'general error'. AVG provided a link to remove it because you can't remove via add n remove programs. Instead you get a window that asks if you want to exit 'installation'. At any rate it has been a job I didn't want or need.

Thing is if you use AVG official forums you will have a wait before you can be waited on. They have even posted that their admins. are busy, busy. Looking at the problems people are having with this 2011 free ed. I don't wonder.

And I guess a heads up on their offer of a PC clean-up Tool. Free for 24 hours. Apparently you may get charged after that period. And people who used it, I guess, messed their computers up. Don't know if that was just not knowing how to use it but it sounded like more than that.

I am here today to find out what I can get for Anti-virus cause I don't want to go back to AVG.

peace

p.s. the file seems huge. And when I looked at the Taskmanager the memory usage was high.
My laptop is running so FAST now that AVG is gone. :thumbsup:

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

Thanks Hattah, . .

Romeo seems to have a smooth operations going for him, . .

but I'm glad your back up and running, after hearing that I think I'm gonna wait,

and is a good thing abour Bleeping Computer, . . to get a little information from real

time live persons, I only hope that the AVG free I have now will keep updating, so that

I stay protected. I see your a new member, Welocme to BC, I'm sure you'll find it a

worthwhile and enjoyable venture.

Good Luck.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 hattah

hattah

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hi again Jove :thumbsup:
I decided to go with Avast! Free ed. So far I am liking it. They have a very helpful user forum also. It was suggested that I use CC Cleaner because I could still find bits and pieces of AVG and other things I had uninstalled a long time ago.

Avast found 1 infected file on the quick scan. Odd thing was it was last modified in 2007 and the original file was OpenIE_W.exe now it has Win32:Adware-gen. 32768 big! So it is sitting in the Virus Chest until I find out what to do with it.

So if that was there through all those different AVG upgrades I'm not impressed. However Avast! says it could be 'new' even though it is "old". I haven't used IE in over a year so who knows.

The only way I totally removed AVG was using AVGs remover and the CC Cleaner.

Fare well wherever you fare
peace

Oh and I think BC is top notch!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users