Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons...No show

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Al Holmes

Al Holmes

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

I started having problems after a reboot..my desktop icons fail to show up and I have to reboot again and again..I looked into task manager and it does show explorer.exe running...a few times I noticed in the task manager that only 15 processes were running..mainly 8 svchost.exe files

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

I am confused, what do you mean you have to reboot again and again? Do you mean that only sometimes your desktop icons show up?

If you access your Desktop through Windows Explorer, are the items still there?

A possibility is that Show Desktop Icons feature is turned off. To fix this,
  • Right-click your desktop
  • Go to Arrange Items By
  • Click Show Desktop Items

#3 Al Holmes

Al Holmes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

I am meaning that when i reboot , my desktop icons do not show up...then after rebooting a few times ..they then show up...my show desktop icons is turned on. and yes, when i am on my blank desktop and start task manager, all items do show up mainly

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

Try doing a System Restore. Choose a date prior to when this started happening. The usable dates will be highlighted in a darker blue.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 realmc

realmc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

Al, do icons show after an extended wait or never show?

#6 Al Holmes

Al Holmes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:34 AM

I have tried the system restore, said no changes made...realmc...sometimes they never show up.. I also noticed this morning I am getting blank tabs open up in Firefox with a web address but nothing shows in the page

#7 Hoothoot

Hoothoot

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

It may be infection, I would advise to ask Malware Response Team.

#8 Al Holmes

Al Holmes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

I have posted HJ this and Malware logs into that forum

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic355452.html, your HJT log topic.

Now that your log is properly posted in the correct forum...you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the logs you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on, the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Removal Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users