Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft security essentials alert wont give up!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 decay

decay

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

Ok so my laptop got infected by the microsoft security essentials alert trojan. I followed all the steps here to remove it. Although it got rid of the microsoft security essentials alert trojan...a bunch of new fake antivirus pop ups still would come up. So i repeated the steps and ran both Rkill and malwarebytes again. This time malwarebytes would just shut down part way through the scan. Afterwords when i'd try to reopen it. It would say...

Windows can not load the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item

I would try deleting and reinstalling malwarebytes and the same thing would happen, first it would shut down during the scan then not give me permission to access the program afterwords.

Then it got EVEN WORSE...i tried getting a clean install file for both rkill and malwarebyes from my other pc on a memory card to transfer over to my laptop when i discover...this bastard trojan has disabled my memory card reader!

So now i've tried hijack this, security task manager...you name it, no matter what program i try to open, whether i'm in safe mode with all wifi switched off or otherwise. Every program i open gets shut down then im locked out of permission to access it.

This is really driving me nuts cause the steps on this site dont seem to apply to me, i literally have nothing i can do. To make things worse this stupid laptop never let me create a windows recovery disc saying i already created one when i didn't....so i have no way to reinstall windows.

On top of this, i can't back up any of my files because somehow EVERY SINGLE FOLDER on the laptop is marked as "read only" even if i uncheck read only and hit apply, it just reverts back to read only every time.

So basically, i cant run any programs, i'm locked out of every file i try to open. Rkill doesnt seem to do anything, even in safe mode. I can't back up my files cause they are forced into read only. And i cant recover windows because the recovery disc creation tool never worked.

Should i just smash my laptop to pieces at this point?

Edited by Budapest, 23 October 2010 - 07:06 PM.
Moved from XP ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 decay

decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

Yep, no matter what program i install, even after running Rkill...an error message pops up that says....

"Windows can not load the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

So basically i need to know how to get permission again so i can run the programs i need to.

Also i have no clue why my memory card slot is locked out either. When i put in a memory card it does nothing and wont show up in my computer.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hello, try this first.
Go here to Doug KNox's Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Run 9th down on left... EXE File Association Fix ... the EXE not EML one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 decay

decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:35 AM

Yep, no matter what program i install, even after running Rkill...an error message pops up that says....

"Windows can not load the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

So basically i need to know how to get permission again so i can run the programs i need to.

Also i have no clue why my memory card slot is locked out either. When i put in a memory card it does nothing and wont show up in my computer.

Unfortunately the laptop's screen went all scrambled colored, then died. It powers up now but the screen is dead. R.I.P.

Gonna get a sony vaio laptop soon i think.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

Ok, I am going to have some look here and see if we can get this back.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,635 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

Hi, Decay :)

:welcome:

Does at least show the BIOS Splash Screen when powered?

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#7 decay

decay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

Nope, screen is completely dead, just the power light comes on. It's like a 5 year old gateway laptop. I think it's time to put it out to pasture since it did the scrambled colors thing before the screen died, i suspect the GPU is fried.

Thinking of just replacing it with this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127256

#8 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,635 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

Nope, screen is completely dead, just the power light comes on. It's like a 5 year old gateway laptop. I think it's time to put it out to pasture since it did the scrambled colors thing before the screen died, i suspect the GPU is fried.

Thinking of just replacing it with this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127256

If you are unable to see the BIOS screen, the problem is now hardware. It must be taken to a shop for an On-site diagnostic.

Sorry!

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users