Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP pavilion a430n can't get any usb devices to work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 colman242003

colman242003

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hp pavilion a430n
OS xp Sp3

Constant problem with anything that plugs into USB (Printers 2410xi, photosmart 7550, xyron wishblade, zune) List goes on and on.
I am always unplugging the usb cords from back of computer and hit or miss trying 4 different USB plug ins from the back of the computer. Trial and error until something works. I just used my xyron just fine last night (works like a printer) Now, none of my printers work.
I am very computer illiterate, but, I am wondering if it all goes back to USB controllers or configurations? I don't understand ports and their names.

I have searched the internet trying to find some basic info, like does each USB plug in the computer have a name?

I appreciate any help. I would like to get to the bottom of this.
Someone has helped me work through unplugging and plugging in one item at a time to make sure my USBs aren't bad. In that process, each USB worked. I think there are conflicts or it's something in the naming/configuring.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

Go to device manager and check if there is any driver problem when you plug in your printer or other peripherals.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

When this happens, try this. Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager. At the top of the list in the pane to the right that opens right click on the icon with the two monitors and then click on Scan for hardware changes.

The registry at times has problems recognizing if a device is active, usually an external hdd. The selective suspend will remove power from a device if it looks to it that is isn't active.

If this didn't work, another thing to try would be to open the Device Manager, right click on the Device Manager in the left pane and point to View and click on Devices by Connection. Scroll down the right side pane to Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller and expand its tree and right click on the USB Root Hub and then click on Properties. Click on the Power Management tab and uncheck the box for "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power

Edited by dc3, 23 October 2010 - 08:10 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 colman242003

colman242003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:20 AM

"When this happens, try this. Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager. At the top of the list in the pane to the right that opens right click on the icon with the two monitors and then click on Scan for hardware changes."

Did this. Now it says my printers are offline.

"Scroll down the right side pane to Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller "
THis is not a choice when I click on Devices by Connection.
I saved a screenshot of what comes up, but ,can't figure out how to link or paste in a reply.

I do appreciate your time and help!

#5 colman242003

colman242003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:21 AM

Go to device manager and check if there is any driver problem when you plug in your printer or other peripherals.

Thanks for your help, killerx525, but I don't know how to do this. I would need step-by-step instructions

#6 colman242003

colman242003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:30 AM

When this happens, try this. Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager. At the top of the list in the pane to the right that opens right click on the icon with the two monitors and then click on Scan for hardware changes.

The registry at times has problems recognizing if a device is active, usually an external hdd. The selective suspend will remove power from a device if it looks to it that is isn't active.

If this didn't work, another thing to try would be to open the Device Manager, right click on the Device Manager in the left pane and point to View and click on Devices by Connection. Scroll down the right side pane to Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller and expand its tree and right click on the USB Root Hub and then click on Properties. Click on the Power Management tab and uncheck the box for "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power

Ok I think I found Standard Open HCD USB host controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers. My "tree" for the USB root hub and Standard Open HSD USB host Controller were different than you described. I right clicked on everything and the "Allow this computer to turn off..." was already unchecked.If there is a way to post screen shots, maybe you could help me further. Thanks.

#7 colman242003

colman242003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:36 AM

Could this be a port problem? When I go to control panel and look at my printers, there are so many port choices, maybe something is wrong there. Have my 2 printers both online again, but, still an error and won't print.

#8 colman242003

colman242003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:01 AM

Voila, I switched the cord on one of my printers and now it works!! It had been communicating, but, it must have been weak. Any advice on what kind of USB cords to buy? I am not wireless. and my printers are not set up super close. That's probably why my xyron machine had been working because I have been using the original cord. My printer with the scanner I have not tried yet, but, I need a lengthy cord.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:21 AM

I believe you a re looking for this.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users