Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ayce

Ayce

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

I've had a similar problem lately, every time I play intense casual games, ie: Bejeweled Twist or MusicRacer, the computer will shut off completely. It seems o.k. when doing my 3d work in Max and Unity, however. I do have CoreTemp installed along with cpu monitor, and other gadgets(DriveMonitor and NetworkMonitor. I have an Abit IP35V mobo running an Intel E6750 CPU. I also have abit's EQ(2009) tool which monitors temps, votages, and fan speed. I suspected it was a heat issue, because I haven't cleaned out the inside of the computer in a long time. :flowers: I restart the PC, and all is fine, unless I try to play one of these games, then poof. I just hope I didn't damage the CPU in the process.
I did notice a discrepancy between abitEQ and Coretemp, about 8~10 degrees c higher with CoreTemp. I was getting temps up to the mid 70's while running these games, and mid 50's idling, which seemed high. Since I cleaned out the heatsink and fan, now it's idling around 44~45. Still a bit high. Redoing the thermal paste should help there. Until then, no fun games for me.
Anyway, back on track, has anyone else with an abit board noticed the temp differenced between abitEQ and Coretemp?
I also checked using CPUID's Hardware Monitor(Trial)which shows a different temp, although closer to abitEQ's. I checked the other readings,fan speeds and voltages and they match up, so it's just the temps which are off. I'm confused???? :thumbsup:
Bruce

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2010 - 05:05 PM.
Split from unrelated thread, PM sent ~ Hamluis.

Racing on the ragged edge.....OF SANITY!!!
Speed is nothing, without control.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ayce

Ayce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

As an amendment to my moved post, (Thanks) here is a screen shot @ idle with SpeedFan running along with CoreTemp. As you can see, there is a discrepancy between the two. Which is right? Or should I just average it out to get a "true" reading.
Thanks.

Attached Files

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

Reapply the thermal paste and see how that goes.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

I'm not sure I understand, did you clean out the interior of the case? If not, that is the first thing that I would suggest. Pay special attention to the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU. If you have a graphics card with a fan, make sure that it is clean as well.

Unless you have detached the heat sink and fan from the CPU I wouldn't worry about reapplying the thermal compound just yet.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ayce

Ayce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

Yes, I did clean out the case, pulled the heat sink and fan and cleaned them as well, that's why I'll need to reapply thermal paste. Don't want to push the old girl too hard until I do that.(Dang Intel fans don't come off the heat sink easily on these units, unlike the older ones that were held on with screws.)I cleaned up the GPU fan as much as I could without pulling the card, but I'll do that anyway once I get the paste. I also want to get a proper case fan. Since I changed cases, the one I put in when the wife had it has different power connectors than the old power supply had, so nothing fits. Can't find an adapter either. I could probably find one at The Source, but all 3 stores in the city are under renovations right now. (Who's lame idea was that?)Easier to pick to a new fan at Future Shop. Anyway, I'll get the paste first, and check temps again. If there's still a discrepancy in the readings, I'll be back.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

You could make your purchase online with companies like Newegg or Tiger Direct.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Ayce

Ayce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Well, without a CC or paypal account, it's a bit tricky, :flowers:
I could get one of those "pay as you go" cards, as the wife suggested, but you need a little thing called "money" to get one.
The rig seems to be holding up O.K. for now, so I'll get it sorted out soon enough. I did try BJT again, and watched the temps very closely, never went above 60c during play, but didn't push very far.

Built this rig 3 years ago now, and other than adding an 750 gb external and new 450W PSU, I haven't done anything to upgrade it.(Unless you consider going from Win XP to 7 and upgrade.) I was thinking of adding a 1tb SATA drive and ghosting my main drive over to it, but that's another thread. Might be time for a rebuild anyway, pass this one on to my daughter. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users