Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What determines processor/motherboard compatibility?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jair24611

jair24611

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

What is it that determines if a new/different processor will work in an old/different machine?

I had a HP pavilion notebook back in college, and after 2 years the processor "fried". I can find the exact parts, but it was somewhere close to the Pavilion dv5220us model and the processor was something close to an AMD athlon w/ 1 ghz. It was bought in 2004 and the computer only had maybe 512mb of memory so it was pretty old. My brother just gave me an intel celeron 2 ghz processor in fine condition out of his 2008 toshiba satellite laptop. I am hoping to take his chip and put it in my old machine, upgrade the memory, and have a decent backup computer for my little bro.

I haven't tried swaping the processors yet, because I wanted to know a little more about how to tell if a processor will work in a new motherboard/computer. Any type of determinant information is appreciated.

-Jai

Edited by jair24611, 23 October 2010 - 04:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

Sorry no such luck AMD and Intel parted ways a long time ago. you will need use an AMD processor and since it is in a laptop it must be in the supported range for that model. What that means is if your model laptop only came with a 1.5Ghz speed proccessor as the fastest one available. Then odds are that the 1.5 would be the fastest you could install due to BIOS support and the ability of the laptop design to properly cool the processor.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users