Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dog bit outside ethernet jack cable..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BenjiB

BenjiB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hey I am new to the forums and in need of quick help. My dog was found chewing on my outside cable that leads in the wall to my ethernet jack. I plug my cat5 cable to the wall which connects to my computer. I also sometimes plug it into my router. I was wondering what do I do, how can I replace and how much would it cost? I was also wondering would it be possible to solder the little tears? I examined it and it has just a rip in the PVC covering but see no tears in the cable. I plug my cable into my PC and it keeps saying connecting then not connect etc. I also have one of these cables connecting upstairs and upstairs ethernet jack works fine. Both cables downstairs and upstairs is leading to the side of the house into the wall w/ a box near it. The cable outside is smaller than my ethernet cable and have provided pics.
DO I NEED TO REPLACE THE WHOLE CABLE OR SHOULD I SOLDER??

- Please reply ASAP for I have to do school work on this thing ;[

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
THIS WHAT THE RIPPED CABLE OUTSIDE HOOKS INTO Posted Image

Edited by BenjiB, 23 October 2010 - 04:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

Yes you can solder the cable for a quick fix in order to get up and running again. However doing so still puts a break in the line which will lead to some packet loss and overall slower speeds. Also since the line happens to be outside rain and other considerations could cause the wires to short losing your connection at best...frying your NIC at worst.

Bottom line is at some point it needs to be replaced but if you need a quick fix for a short period of time ...twist and solder away.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 BenjiB

BenjiB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for fast reply. How slow will I get? I currently have a 1.2MB/S download; what will it be after I solder? Can't I just buy the cable and replace where it's damaged and solder them? Also, if I call my cable company will they do it for me?

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

How slow is impossible to guess at since it depends on how you solder, the type of solder, how well it is soldered, ect and so on. Any cable for network traffic needs to be one continuous piece in order to work properly, so no you cannot just solder in a piece. Not withstanding the whole weather thing as well. Your cable company probably will not do it since it isn't a coaxial cable and they didn't install it. Even if they do they will be charging you...a lot...better to do it yourself if you are capable....or find a friend who can.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users