Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd/dvd Rom Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wolfee

Wolfee

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:06 PM

Hi, my CD/DVD Rom doesn't work. I have a duel ROM and it's the top one that doesn't work. It all started when I purchased a new game which came with 2 disks. I placed the Disk 1 into the bottom ROM device and it worked perfectly. that is until it asked me for Disk 2. When I tried to remove the first disk from the device it wouldn't open, so thinking there wasn't a problem I placed the Disk into the top one.

Nothing happened. After a minute the game repeated it's request for the second disk. I opened the slot where the CD goes and reinserted it again. Again nothing happened except it once again asked for the Disk 2. I took the disk out and tried to open up the bottom but it wouldn't open. So I resigned myself to cancel the installation.
After I cancelled, I tried to get the bottom one to release the disk but I still couldn't. It only released the disk upon rebooting.

I then tried the installation once again but this time I tried the top rack first. After a long while the installation screen showed up I filled in all the codes and information it wanted before it would begin it's downloading of files from the disk but that never happened the downloading quickly stopped and told me there was an error. The error message said something was corrupt with either the disc or drive and then abruptly ended the installation.

Making sure it wasn't the game I tried one of my other games with multiple disks and the same problem occurred too.

Thinking it might just needed to be cleaned I bought a CD ROM cleaner disk. The bottom player worked fine and responded to the cleaner(a voice audio came with the disk with instructions on what to do when you insert the cleaner) no such thing occurred for the top player. The light just came on and blinked rapidly and then stopped.

It was suggested that I try disconnecting the top one and use only one. I tried that but it didn't work. When it came time to insert the second disk the bottom drawer refused to open again.

So now what do I do? I just found out my warranty ends the day after tomorrow( just my luck).Should I replace the top one? If so what would you recommend I buy?

My computer is:
Windows XP Home
Dell Demiension 8400 Series
3.4 Ghz
1 GB RAM
Intel Radeon X300 SE

Thank you for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:44 AM

I placed the Disk 1 into the bottom ROM device and it worked perfectly. that is until it asked me for Disk 2. When I tried to remove the first disk from the device it wouldn't open, so thinking there wasn't a problem I placed the Disk into the top one.

The installation routine had probably 'locked' the drive and prevented the door from opening.
Those routines USUALLY expect the second and subsequent disks to be in the SAME device as the first one and WOULD NOT detect the fact you put disk in another drive.

I tried to get the bottom one to release the disk but I still couldn't. It only released the disk upon rebooting.

This would be normal

...... The error message said something was corrupt with either the disc or drive and then abruptly ended the installation.

Got to suspect disc 2 is faulty at this point.

......... no such thing occurred for the top player. The light just came on and blinked rapidly and then stopped. It was suggested that I try disconnecting the top one and use only one. I tried that but it didn't work. When it came time to insert the second disk the bottom drawer refused to open again.

Definitely disc 2 is faulty?

So now what do I do? I just found out my warranty ends the day after tomorrow( just my luck).Should I replace the top one? If so what would you recommend I buy?

Hi

Make sure BOTH drives can read KNOWN GOOD cd's/dvd's. Windows CD would be a good check. Otherwise phone before warranty ends.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/ has many reviews and is a good starting point if you need a new drive.

I use NEC and Pioneer but LG gets a good review as do many others.

Regards

Bryan
Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users