Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Won't Run on Restart

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Doitle

Doitle

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hello all,

I've been having a problem for months and have exhausted all the internet resources I could find on the subject. I hope that I can maybe get pointed in the right direction here.

My problem is that Chkdsk will not run on boot like it is supposed to. I've been getting errors to the effect of "File is unreadable - Run Chkdsk" but have been unable to do so. When I attempt to run it from windows it states that the drive is in use and cannot be checked and schedules a check on next boot. I have verified that the dirty bit on my drive is set so that part is working fine. The problem is that the check never occurs. I restart and it just boots normally into Windows. It seems that autochk is either disregarding the dirty bit or starting and immediately failing which is appearing to be a normal boot. I did verify that my copy of autochk is good and downloaded a known working copy just in case as well. In addition I ran SFC to see if that would help in any way but there was no change to the boot behavior.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to try next in restoring my chkdsk capability?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

From: http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/172250-scheduled-chkdsk-wont-run-reboot.html

If that isn't working, you could attempt to run chkdsk from Safe Mode.

If that still doesn't work, you can boot from your Windows CD and choose to run the Recovery Console. From there you can run "chkdsk /r" manually as well.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Doitle

Doitle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Ah yeah, I have gone through that thread already. I tried my best to search for a solution on my own. There didn't seem to be any difference trying to run it from safe mode.

Also I know I could do it from a recovery CD but I'm trying to fix this problem rather than find a work around. If it's just not possible I'll do it from a recovery CD but I'd really like to find the cause of this.

Is there possibly a log file generated by autochk.exe or chkdsk.exe that I could go through to find more information about what is going on?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

I see.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I understand you want a fix and not a workaround...the thing is, I don't know of a fix besides a clean install.

Not that I know of.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

Event viewer might have something for you, but you'll have to weed through a lot find the chkdsk entry.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

What is the model of your harddrive?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Doitle

Doitle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:51 AM

Here's a Speccy snapshot. HDD is included within.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/i1YgbjNK24lc5bqIH2xiGqv

I did look around because I was wondering if there was maybe a manufacturer tool that would help me out here but I didn't come across anything.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:16 AM

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=703&sid=3&lang=en

Download this Western Digital Diagnostic Tool and run the extended test.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 Doitle

Doitle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

Here are the results of the test:

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD3200BEKT-00F3T0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WX60C5913611
Firmware Number: 11.01A11
Capacity: 320.07 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 07:31:20, October 24, 2010

It appears to have completed without any problems... This is pretty strange since if I try to run chkdsk in read only mode it errors out after about 20 seconds stating I need to run it in fix mode because there are too many errors.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hmm,i'm running out of ideas now, you might as well use the recovery disc.

>Michael 

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

you might as well use the recovery disc.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 24 October 2010 - 03:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users