Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC persistantly hanging,but ok in safe mode,please help.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 johnojones

johnojones

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Hi bleeping computer folk,
This topic was posted in malware removal section,but after analysis i have had no joy,and have been advised by Myrti to come over to the windows forum in my efforts to have this problem solved,it has been 2 weeks now and i am desperate.
I am running Window Vista basic,service pack 2,acer aspire x3200,2gb ram,dual core 2.10ghz processors.
My system just froze twice in one day around 13th October.Since then it continuosly hangs after boot up.I get past windows log etc,can see my desktop,but when i attempt anything,whether that be internet,open a folder,click start,my computer hangs for about 10/15 mins.Then once free,as soon as i attempt anything else,it just does the same again.this just goes on and on,so i have to power down and restart in safe mode.The task manager only shows the cpu using 3-4% (when i eventually get it to open).I cannot recall any changes that may have been made if any.
I can run perfectly well in safe mode with networking which is what i am doing now.Is this some driver problem?
I have tried uninstalling Avast,also disabling nearly everything on start up,but still the same.Is there hope?

HELP!

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 johnojones

johnojones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hi Brony,thanks for taking time to assist me.
I did as you asked,but windows was unable to start.I only got to the microsoft screen with the scrolling loading bar and did a power down after 10 mins.
After powering back up and holding F8,windows error recovery offered me 2 choices,click repair or load normally,i chose load normally first time,but nothing,second time i did repair,and after not taking the option to restore to a previous point,it took a very long time to repair and load windows.As soon as i clicked start,it did nothing,no response to task manager either.I powered down and got back to safe mode,and then followed the steps for a second time and again i did not get to load windows after 15 mins i gave up.I am now back in safe mode with networking.

John.

Edited by johnojones, 23 October 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

Do you have/can borrow Vista DVD?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 johnojones

johnojones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

I have sourced a Vista DVD,and have it in hand

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

I suggest Vista repair installation: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 johnojones

johnojones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

Hi Broni,i followed all the steps,but the upgrade option was disabled.The vista dvd comes with SP1,i have SP2 installed,I looked at the slipstream for SP2,and it seemed too complicated for me to do.Do you want remote access?should i just do a reinstall from acer empower management.I have made a back up of my important files.I have also got and activated a second hard drive but i was not allowed access to clone it as i was going to do in case of any problems.As my pc keeps hanging it is very painstaking to attempt the most basic of tasks.

John

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

Yes, you'd have to either slipstream SP2 into a DVD, or uninstall SP2 and then your DVD should work.

If you have all data backed up, clean reinstall may be the fastest option.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 johnojones

johnojones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:41 AM

Hi Broni,not been able to do a reinstall just yet.I am trying unsuccessfully to back up my built in operating system in case something goes wrong.I have an Acer PC,and it comes equipped with built in e.recovery,but i cannot access it either from the programm list or even from downloading the >exe from them,safe mode or otherwise.I then had problems where the pc wouldn't shut down in safe mode,and then took for ever to load up again,it just stayed on the Acer welcome screen.That was worrying.It seems ok now(safe mode)I am currently using Casper to clone my PQSERVICE partition,but it keeps failing as the target usb HD drive seems unstable.I will perservere and update you soon.
Just to eliminate,would a faulty hard drive cause all these problems ?

John.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

Sorry Broni for stepping in like this. Hope you don't mind.

When was the last time you cleaned out your computer with a can of air?

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

would a faulty hard drive cause all these problems ?

It wouldn't hurt to check....

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 johnojones

johnojones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

Hi Cryptodan,it has been 6 months or so since it was cleaned inside.I'll do that now.Meantime,i am unable to locate the Acer recovery console by holdong ALT and F10 from boot up,that would give me a full re-install.I cannot run it anyother way,so that is on hold for the moment.I would need to order a media recovery disc from them.I have done a full copy of my internal hard drive using Casper successfully.
When i have tried to boot using F10,and it loaded windows as normal, i did notice that i could press start and restart the machine from there without it hanging.So it seems the machine does not hang immediately ,but after tests it is approx 30 seconds after initial boot up to desktop.I always used to give it several minutes before use.
I will run the diagnostics as suggested by Broni.

#13 johnojones

johnojones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hi guys,i cleaned my PC,but it did not do the trick,but it was a little dusty around the fan.I managed to get some Acer E.recovery discs,and i have managed a full reinstall.I am now up and running again as from today with no problems,god knows what it was all about but it's fine again now.Just one small problem,i have connected my ghosted hard drive via usb,assigned a drive letter and can access most things.There are some things i need out of my documents,under user/documents on that backup hard drive,but Vista does not give me access.I did back them to a zip drive but have misplaced it,how do i get to my old user folder?

Thanks all,John.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

Try this: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html

#15 johnojones

johnojones