Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difficulties with lag issues (Help!)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Triggertyler

Triggertyler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

First i'd like to apologize for maybe posting in the wrong forum, I've never been here and now I'm desperate for help..

My computer specs;

Intel® Core™2 Quad PC CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39 GHZ
3.00 GB Ram
64 Bit Windows 7 Operating system
297 Gig memory
NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS

My computer has started to lag in games for about a week or two now, i'll play a game for three minutes or sometimes even less & the lag will start to pour in. This happens with every game and every type, it even happened with maple story (Which is a very bleepty graphics game). This happened once before and i asked my friend eryn, he told me to clean it out because there might be dust on the graphics card (I clean out my computer like once every month) and so i did, it was a temp fix, it fixed it for like a day & then it was back to being laggy. I talk to my friend marc and he told me to update my graphic drivers, do a virus scan and clean out with a defrag. I did all of that & still no progress, i even did a system restore and still no luck. He's coming over today to reinstall windows 7 on my computer with a complete wipe. If this doesn't work then i have no idea on what to do, might be my hardware inside but i'm not too sure that's why i posted in this section. Please please help me, i'm dying to play a game.

Oh & the lag is really bad, it drops to like 2-3 frames per second, not even playable by any standard or how desperate you really are. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

It might be heat issues, weak power supply or even bad video card?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hi Triggertyler, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Is this a custom build?

What is the make and model of your PSU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Triggertyler

Triggertyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hi Triggertyler, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Is this a custom build?

What is the make and model of your PSU?

It's actually a store bought one, i've had it for a couple years & this is the only time it's actually given me any trouble.

It's a dell, not sure of the model or make of it.

thanks for the welcome. :thumbsup:

#5 Triggertyler

Triggertyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

It might be heat issues, weak power supply or even bad video card?

I've considered heating & that's why i brought my computer from below my desk to on top of it and removed the side so that it can have easier access.

As for power supply i haven't considered that but the video card I've known for some time.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

We need to check out the cpu first?

Early Q6600 were notorious for overheating

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html#directiontouse

note the revision and stepping

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html#directiontouse
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

Chewy has a very valid point which should be followed up on. One of the other possibilities is that there could be a problem with the PSU. The system requirements for that graphics card shows a minimum of a 300W PSU.

If would be helpful to know what the model of this Dell is so that we can determine what the PSU is, and what its wattage is rated at.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

I should have thought of this before now. If you download SIW, open it and scroll down the list in the left pane to System Summary and click on it, it will display the make and model.

http://www.gtopala.com/

When you install this it may ask you if you want to have another application installed as well. I would suggest not allowing this, remove the check mark in the box that would indicate your acceptance of this installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users