Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to enhance security camera snapshot of vandal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

I use a security DVR with two cameras. My DVR is a no frills economy version without a built in CD burner. It only records in RAW format.You can only export footage to a USB flash drive. I caught a kid doing vandalism to the house. But you can't quite make out her face.

I made a bunch of JPEG screen captures and put these on a CD. Then the police impounded the CD long with other information. I also had the police view the moving footage which I was also able to export to and view on my PC with a proprietary HDD viewer software.

I have a neighbor who seemed very confident of the girl's identity. But I fear that the police are going to come back and say there is nothing we can do because her face isn't clear enough. There has to be a way to enhance the photo quality to bring out her face. Surely the police have sophisticated software for this? Last night I downloaded this free software that manipulates pixellation, resolution., and other settings But I couldn't get anywhere with it.

This is very frustrating. This is the same thing you hear from many other security camera buyers. You can't make out the subject's face. I spent over $600.00 for two cameras and the DVR.

Is there some type of software that will accomplish this? This is serial vandalism. So I can't let this slip through the cracks. I uploaded the photo to an image hosting site. Just click on My link

Thanks

Edited by skymaster191, 23 October 2010 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

The quality you have is what it is. There is no magic software to add resolution. Sorry to bare bad news. Besides, I am pretty sure the cops know how to examine video. Hope it works out for you. For the future, it might be time to invest in higher resolution cameras (and infrared).

Edited by thrillhouse, 05 November 2010 - 02:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users