Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPad + hand scanner + camera connection kit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

I want to share my setup for reading paper books on my iPad.

My cordless hand scanner (Lenco HS100, identical product sold by other brands under name Handy Scanner) allows me to scan book pages directly to a microSD card, without a computer.
I swipe the hand scanner over each page I want to scan. Then I pop out the microSD card, and slide it into a SD adapter. After inserting the adapter into the iPad Camera Connection Kit, I can connect the connection kit to my iPad and import the scanned pages into the Photos app.

I've a couple of 1000+ pages books I'm reading at home, lugging these around is not always practical. So when I want to continue reading when commuting, I scan about 20 pages from the book in less than a minute with my hand scanner, and transfer them to my iPad, all without needing a computer or iTunes.

The iPad Camera Connection Kit also comes with an adapter to connect a camera (e.g. my scanner) directly to the iPad via USB, but unfortunately, my iPad tells me the scanner is a device that requires too much power.

You could also use a digital camera to "scan" the pages, the only extra step would be to rotate each page by 90.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

I don't know if this will work but you could try using a powered USB hub between the scanner and the iPad which might get you past the scanner drawing too much power from the iPad.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

I don't know if this will work but you could try using a powered USB hub between the scanner and the iPad which might get you past the scanner drawing too much power from the iPad.

Good idea. I'll try this in a couple of days and report back. Don't have an unused hub for the moment.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Vonnegut

Vonnegut

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

Pretty cool. Would be neat if you had some sort of text recognition app so you can have the functionality of highlighting and note writing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users