Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the essential antivirus/malware programs needed to prevent infection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Elusival

Elusival

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

I'm assuming antimalware bytes. Full version would be better? Which anti virus. AVG free? or Avast full version? Do I need to select anything to constantly monitor.

last time I had Spybot tea timer running protecting the registry and that did nothing to help.

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2010 - 10:21 AM.
Moved from XP to AV, Firewall, Privacy Protection ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

At a minimum you need to use a good anti-virus suite and a firewall. I use AVG Free and Zonealarm because... well...they are free.....and I have had very good success with protection on multiple computers using them. I do not run any real time malware\spyware scanners. I do use the immunize option on spybot but not the tea timer. I do an occasional scan with malwarebytes and\or Asquared as a preventive measure as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

Just an FYI. ASquared is now Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Current version 5.0

Being that there is no 100% protection, an educated user and safe computing habits are the best protection.

Edited by ThunderZ, 23 October 2010 - 09:55 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Emsisoft (a-squared) products are prone to "false positives" and they even acknowledge this.

...Sometimes security software falsely identifies important crucial system components as a threat (hence the term False Positives - FP).

Removing/deleting critical system files, even temporarily, can make a system crash. Sometimes the system will recover after a reboot, and sometimes it will not. Therefore, you may not be able to start your system. Special system restore measures may be needed, or even a full system re-installation....If detections are FP's, you run the risk of rendering your system inoperable...

a-squared Anti-Malware: Using security Software to scan data

...the Anti-Malware Scanner looks for files, folders, registry entries and Tracking Cookies that are typically created by Spyware programs. Traces are exactly these trails that Spyware leaves behind...This approach has both advantages and disadvantages for Malware recognition...The negative side is that it provides a relatively inexact, or insufficiently differentiated to be more precise, Malware recognition. Benign software can be falsely recognized, for example, if it uses the same file name or folder as a dangerous Spyware program.

Software discovered via Traces should therefore first be double-checked to see if it is actually Malware before it is finally deleted...

Spyware Traces in Detail
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

Emsisoft (a-squared) products are prone to "false positives" and they even acknowledge this.

Thanks quietman7. That is the exact reason I will not use it or recommend it.

Gave it a couple chances a while back. Hosed to OS installs because I did not use due diligence in double checking what it reported.

#6 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

Whats a good alternative to AVG? AVG gives my vista problems in loading a game sometimes. I understand I should be vigilent but could do with an idea of the best programs to use.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

#8 runtotorun121

runtotorun121

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

I see Microsoft Security Essentials listed as an option. Is that one good enough for me to use? I had the yucky McAfee that came on my computer and slowed everything down and caused lots of problems. After my rootkit infection and searching for help which eventually led me here I removed McAfee and installed the Microsoft Security Essentials. I had read reviews that it was doing pretty good, and, importantly, doesn't have a lot of the drag some other programs have on your computer while they are running. I have it running with the real time protection.

I also have SUPERantispyware and SpywareBlaster running on my computer. Additionally, I have Malwarbytes that I run.

I am using only the free editions of all of these because. . .well, I have 13 month old triplets and am now a stay at home mom making things work with one income since the babies came! Can anyone give me some feedback about these things I have and whether or not they are adequate? Am I missing something critical?

I have been receiving SUPER help today from someone in the virus/malware removal forum and cannot believe how great the help is here. :thumbsup:

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

After posting a log and getting assistance, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean. When you reach that point then you can consider changing your anti-virus.

Here is some information about Microsoft Security Essentials to help you with the decision to use it.

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare (discontinued on September 29th 2009) which provides real-time protection that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It was originally aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software. The Security Essentials home page offers lniks for Help and Support Guides as well as How to Videos.Reviews:Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

Before installation, Microsoft Security Essentials checks for a validated copy of Windows and will disable Windows Defender if installed since MSE provides protects against spyware. You also need to uninstall all other "Memory Resident" anti-virus applications before you can install MSE. See Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials for more information. If MSE is already installed and you try to install Defender afterwards, MSE will advise "Microsoft Client protection has been found. Please remove that product and rerun the setup".

If you are also using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware real-time protection, please read Section I here.

Again do not make any changes to your system until it is clean or your Helper (sundavis) directs you otherwise.

#10 runtotorun121

runtotorun121

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

Oh my goodness.

I am not sure if I read your reply incorrectly, but I feel as though I have been lectured and chastised a bit, and that is not why I posted a question here.

First, it appears you may have skimmed my post and not actually read it because I stated I have already (and I did resist the urge to bold or change the color of the font to red on "already") installed Microsoft Security Essentials (BEFORE I JOINED AN POSTED AT bleepingcomputer.com).

Second, as my helper, sundavis, is already aware, if I assume he/she has read my posts I am quite aware to not change my computer and stated clearly I would absolutely NOT be doing anything to my computer until my virus/malware issue is resolved because I am quite able to read and follow directions, which were clearly detailed before you post for assistance in that forum.

I was simply asking for feedback here NOT HELP. And while there may be some people who wander to this website and do not read or follow directions while running around pell-mell mucking about with their computer, I am not one of those people. Perhaps I am finding this reply offensive when it is meant for the general public that may just be wandering by and not seriously working with someone here, but I did not understand this topic to be about virus and malware removal. I thought it was about suggestions for good protection.

Assuming I am going to race out and begin uninstalling and installing things is offensive to me and to lecture and chastise me for things I have not done. . .had you asked. . .or read my post correctly here. . .does not seem to keep with the spirit of this site. I believe my last post described my positive feelings about the forums here. This reply has left a bad taste in my mouth now. I look forward to completing my work with sundavis, but this was really an unpleasant experience.

Again, perhaps I am reading the reply to my question in a tone in which it was not intended, and if that is the case I apologize for my negative reaction, but I really do not require red font and bold letters. I am a professional with a graduate degree and some ability to read, comprehend, and follow directions.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

Again, perhaps I am reading the reply to my question in a tone in which it was not intended

That is the case. The reminder about not making any changes to a system after someone posts a log for assistance is a standard reply given to all members while they are still in the process of disinfection. We do this because there are members who will ask for advice and make system changes while receiving help in that forum which as I said causes confusion. Further, other folks read the topics in this forum. I keep that fact in mind when writing my replies so that all readers may learn our procedures.

If I were going to chastise, I would have left my reply at that and not provided any feedback on Microsoft Security Essentials for you to review and make an informed decision if it is a product you want to continue to use.

Edited by quietman7, 26 October 2010 - 06:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users