Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live mail won't start because of wlcomm.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rockshic

rockshic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Hi

I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction towards solving this problem. This is my first post, so please don't slap me too hard if I have made any mistakes or stamped on any etiquette or anything. I did search for wlcomm but only found two results in this section and neither seemed to have any relevance to my problem.

Somehow, I picked up what I think was the "google redirect virus". Browser redirections and pop-ups galore. After many scans, swear words, windows updates and re-starts, that seems to be cured. However, whenever I try to start Windows Live Mail, it opens, and then I get a pop-up stating that Windows Live Communications Platform isn't working - click OK to look for a solution. (The solution is useless - it suggests installing Windows updates - which I have done.) Then Live Mail says it needs to shut down. Occasionally it will claim that "contacts failed to load" but this is not consistent.

I have tried:
Malwarebytes full scan. Found and fixed some things, but not this.

Used the built-in Windows tool to fix the Windows Live package - done this several times - each times it claims to have fixed it but it hasn't done.

Currently running the OneCare Safety scanner from Microsoft - but not hopeful.

Currently re-running Malwarebytes, just in case.

Re-downloading Windows Live Mail - same problem.

AML free registry cleaner - fixed many problems but not this.

General clean-up of temp files, re-booted etc.

Several Microsoft Security Essentials scans.

Several people online have this problem, but theirs are all relating to and fixed by messing about with, Windows Messenger which I don't use and don't have installed. I have tried to find a solution on the Microsoft site - ha! I would be eternally grateful for even a tiny push in the right direction.

Thanks for reading.

Have just found out ( http://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=52511456-0877-4488-8ee3-2dfb49781e73 ) that Live Mail updated to a new version on the 21st of this month. I assume this would have been in the Windows updates I downloaded overnight and woke up to yesterday AM as this is when the problem began. So maybe it's an update I need to uninstall? Or perhaps just locate and install a previous version.

Edited by rockshic, 23 October 2010 - 09:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockshic

rockshic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Solved. It was a fault with the new release of the Live Essentials update. Microsoft have released a patch for it already and it is now working fine.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for sharing your resolution, it will probably assist someone else in similar situation...happy computing :huh:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users