Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally installed XP pro SP3 twice !

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Lister

Dave Lister

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

Hi all,

I really hope somebody can help me with this as I'm really stuck.
About 6 months ago I installed a new 250gb HDD after I had stability problems with XP on my old drive & figured I was due a new, bigger HDD anyway, so decided to put in the new drive with a fresh install of XP pro and keep the old drive in as it had lots of photos on it etc.
All has been fine until recently when I had some viruses, which are cleared ok now, but decided to re-install XP again.
Somehow I managed to install onto the old "C" drive not the new one (please don't ask, I'm not sure how I managed it either)
When I rebooted I noticed I was prompted to boot to 1 of 2 Windows XP Pro's.
If I boot to the old C drive, everything works ok but obviously I have all my programs etc on the new drive.
If I boot to the NEW C drive, it boots up ok, but I have lost all USB ports and can't use the mouse.
I have tried navigating using the keyboard and re-installing the usb drivers but it keeps failing, I have tried uninstalling the drivers and re-booting but get the same result.
I am using my wife's laptop to post this and I really am at a loss how to fix it.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful as I just don't know what to try next & I don't want to risk causing further problems and making things any worse.

Many thanks in advance.

Ade

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:15 AM

Not sure from your post...what you want to do.

If you don't want a given install...simply boot into the one you want...delete the Windows folder for the other...then follow the suggestions at Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

See more detailed guidance at Two XP Installs On Same Partition, #20 (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20.

As for device issues on the wanted install...go into Device Manager, uninstall the devices...and then reboot XP. If that proves unsatisfactory, it's beyond my ken and I would have to suspect a hardware problem of some type.

Louis

Since you don't indicate what your system is and/or how you installed XP...the above instructions may not be applicable to OEM (HP, Lenovo, etc.) systems which employ recovery/restore functions and nonstandard boot files.

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#3 Dave Lister

Dave Lister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.

I want to use the XP Pro SP3 install on the new 250gb HDD, which was working fine until the virus issue.

I then accidentally chose the old 80gb C drive for the new install, and this is what caused the problem.(or appeared to)

I would agree that it was a hardware issue except that the usb ports & mouse work fine on the new install on the old 80gb drive.

I have tried as you suggested, deleting the usb drivers and usb hub from the xp install on my preferred drive (250gb) then rebooting, but when I go through the install it fails & I get an error message saying it was unable to install the drivers. Pre-virus, this drive had been running perfectly and all drivers had installed without issue.

I want to delete the xp install from the old 80gb HDD, I just want to make sure that this won't have any effect on the new drive, as it has obviously had some detrimental effect on my usb drivers already.

Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

If those installs are on two separate hard drives...the only item that would be affected by such as a common item...would be the boot.ini file. The boot.ini has nothing at all to do with functioning programs/drivers/functions...on either install.

The link I previously posted was for 2 installs on the same partition/drive (I get lost in the fog easily :thumbsup:).

I think I'd check Event Viewer on the malfunctioning install...for possible clues.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#5 Dave Lister

Dave Lister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hi Louis,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I have had a look in event viewer, and it has logged literally hundreds of errors for the last 2 days in "system"
Would you like me to generate and post a logfile?

Also, I persevered uninstalling the USB controllers, and on about the 3rd attempt it installed by itself and the mouse started working again but now I have lost audio.
I have an exclamation mark next to pnp audio device in device manager, and again it fails when I try to reinstall the driver and I get the following error message:

Cannot install this hardware
There was a problem installing this hardware
pnp audio device
An error occured during the installation of this device
The driver installation file is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

<<Would you like me to generate and post a logfile?>>

Not at all...it's your system and it's your responsibility...to pay attention when Windows is calling you :thumbsup:. If you have a ton of errors...it's probably time you showed some interest.

You need to go through the errors...and see what the problems are.

Errors that have the same ID number and source...you only have to look up one. You double-click the line item and read the detail.

You can also use Google...to find info on a given error in Event Viewer...by using the ID and the Source columns...to get info about that particular error.

There is also a website, www.eventid.net, which has summary info on various errors. I find this to be a good source of possibilities when trying to interpret a given error.

I suggest starting with the most recent errors (last five) and working backwards after you have some idea of what those five mean.

Louis

#7 Dave Lister

Dave Lister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hi Louis,
Until you told me about it, I wasn't even aware of Event Viewer,
I have tried eventid.net, but to be honest, I'm more confused now than when I started. I don't know how to make sense of the error codes, for ecample:
Event viewer gives an error code of 1000, source DCOM
eventid.net tells me:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {<DCOM server GUID>}. The error:
"<error description>"
Happened while starting this command:
<command>
This means absolutely nothing to me, I have no idea what to do with this information,
All I know for sure with this one is that it happened every 20 seconds for 2 hours.
I am totally at a loss to try and fathom what they mean.
I can't see how this relates to me not being able to install the pnp audio device which worked fine previously, and oddly was working when the usb ports weren't. Now the usb ports work the audio has gone, but if I boot from the old C drive the usb & audio all works fine

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

The only common factor that I see between USB and audio...is the motherboard.

When motherboard functions fail to operate properly, it's normally a case of either drivers or the function itself.

You've mentioned the keyboard, USB, and audio functions...all as being problematical on this install. You've stated that you don't have the ability to properly install drivers for one or more of these...and get the proper functioning.

To further confuse issues...you have a second hard drive which seems to absolve the motherboard from any blame.

Any impact by another hardware component...should be evident on both installs.

Go to Device Manager on the troubled install...tell me what items reflect yellow markings indicative of problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users