Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD vs Intel

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kobaltic

kobaltic

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

I am looking to do some upgrades to CPU, MOBO, and RAM. Here are some questions?

1. I have a Nvidia 260 gtx card, will this work with an AMD cpu? Is there any special I need to worry about, like it will work but only with a certain cpu or mobo?

2. AMD and Intel, performance vs price. It seems that the AMD chips are cheaper then the Intel, is there a big enough performance increase to go with Intel? I am looking towards the I7 line and must be quad core.

Here is an example. The only difference I see is the L2 cache and the $179.00 price difference. Is the Intel really that much better? Or am I comparing apples to oranges.

Newegg comparison

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

1. I have a Nvidia 260 gtx card, will this work with an AMD cpu? Is there any special I need to worry about, like it will work but only with a certain cpu or mobo?

As long as the mobo you are looking at has a pci-e x16 slot then that card will work. The processor type AMD\Intel, does not matter.

2. AMD and Intel, performance vs price. It seems that the AMD chips are cheaper then the Intel, is there a big enough performance increase to go with Intel? I am looking towards the I7 line and must be quad core.

For flat out, out of the box performance, Intel hands down. I do`t think AMD has one close to the I7. I`m an AMD fan so it does pain me to say that. :huh: If you are looking for biggest bang for the buck then AMD.

In real world performance I doubt you would see a lot, if any difference. Running a benchmarking program is where you would see the differences in writing so to speak.
Great for bragging rights with your friends but if you are`t worried about that then go AMD and spend the savings on something else. :thumbsup:

#3 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

ya for amd vs intel...amd would defiantly be the way to go if u were getting anything other than the i7 line, but since u r going for the higher-end stuff intel is what u want (im also an amd fan :thumbsup: lol)

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

AMD is releasing new processors next year which will outperform the i7.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#5 kobaltic

kobaltic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

Thanks guys. My thought is that the Intel is 2.5 X more expensive so is it 2.5 X faster? If it is only .5 X faster I don't think the price justifies the performance.

Any information if the new AMD chip will be the same socket and compatible with the current MOBOs?

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

The new AMD CPUs will use a AM3+ socket, so no.
Go with AMD unless you have some specific need for a $1000 CPU. The Intel Core i7-980X is the only good reason to choose Intel over AMD in my opinion.

Edited by RainbowSix, 23 October 2010 - 10:09 AM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:34 PM

Depends what your doing. If you do high end video and graphics editing, ya the intel i7 has AMD beat hands down no questions asked. In other categories, even gaming, the margin is much smaller. For example, I have a Phenom II x4 945, which is a 3 ghz quad core, WEI (im using this loosely because the WEI is just a general way of testing performance and in no way specific) is 7.3, and its on a older, AM2 board. (its an am3 CPU) Now, my brother has a Intel i7 quad core at 3.2 ghz on a top of the line LGA 1366 board. Now, i7, 200 mhz faster, you would think huge difference on the WEI wouldnt you? its a 7.4. Not the huge difference I was thinking. In other tests, I havent thoroughly tested all of them, the i7 does outperform the 945 in most if not all areas, but not by near as much of a margin as a lot of people think there would be in most areas.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:03 PM

AMD over Intel. Which one you choose depends on what you are doing and your budget. For most people, which includes most gamers, an AMD CPU will work very well. For hardcore gamers and people crunching numbers, a high-end Intel CPU would win hands down. Remember, AMD and Intel are both coming out with new CPU's in a few weeks. AMD's CPU's are going to be using Socket AM3+ and are not backwards compatible with AM3 motherboards, however, AM3 CPU's will work on AM3+ motherboards. Intel will be launching a high-end Sandy Bridge CPU sometime next year which will use the LGA 2011 socket. This socket will not be compatible with Intel's current i7 socket, the LGA 1366.

3939.png

#9 kobaltic

kobaltic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:36 AM

Let me rephrase my question then. I have a Pentium D 830 which is a dual core 3 ghz. I have a higher performance MOBO. I have 2 gigs of pc6400. My main computer functions are running 3ds max, Maya, Photoshop, UDK and converting video formats. I need more ram and I want a quad core. If I get a socket 775 quad core and upgrade my ram to 6 gigs, with two 2 gig sticks, I pretty much max out my MOBO. So I will have to upgrade everything the next time around. The price of DDR 3 is only pennies more then DDR 2. The I7 are running bout 25-50 bucks more then the socket 775. AMD quads are cheaper then both. So it comes down to if I want to upgrade my MOBO now and destroy my RAID. Which way would give me the biggest bang for my buck? I am thinking AMD this round. However I may hold off since new chips are around the corner and see if it drops the current prices.

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

I would say for what you do forget quad core and go hexa core since most of those programs are heavily multi-threaded you can get a better bang for your buck. Since the Intel chip is $880 dollars and the AMD is $260 dollars unless you are using the computer for a professional work load I would have a hard time justifying the extra cost of the Intel proccessor.

As far as waiting goes..I tend to prefer using hardware/software with a little bit of real world testing before plunking down my hard earned cash. For me if you can stand to wait till the third quarter of 2011 to upgrade then that is what I would do (if of course the new proccessors are released on time if not then you could be talking 2012!). If you can't wait that long go for the AMD hexa-core and 4GB of the fastest memory you can afford. Oh and unless your hard drives were purchased recently replace them too the little bit of extra cost will be well worth the performance boost as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#11 kobaltic

kobaltic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

The quad core is $99.00 vs $260.00. So is the performance gain worth the extra cost? As for the waiting, I was going to wait to get the 2nd generation chips at a cheaper price, not buying the new ones. New chips always have hiccups.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:35 AM

New CPU's rarely have show-stopping issues, they do have bugs, but all do. There are lower-end six core CPU's that will work better than a quad IF the application you are using supports six core CPU's. The AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz is a great six core CPU that operates at a good clock speed. It is not Black Edition, so it is locked if you want to do overclocking.

3939.png

#13 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:23 AM

kobaltic, i recently purchased the Core i7 950 3.02ghz for 300$ its a quad core, and with Intels Hyper-Threading technology, has 8 threads, that would be more then enough for all your heavily threaded applications. I have 2 4gb sticks of ram, a system like mine would be fine for you. I would go with Intel over AMD unless you cant afford to. Also, this processor is easily Over clocked to 4.0ghz with a goood cooler, though i dont know how to do that, just read reviews that its easy on newegg.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:40 AM

Intel all the way, if money persist.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

Intels nice, but for what your using it for-dont let the die hards fool ya, a good phenom II x4 will do everything you need it to without even breaking a sweat if your a little low on cash. My phenom II x4 945 runs at 3 ghz-and it runs absolutly marvelous, and Ive got it bottlenecked on an old AM2 motherboard, its FSB is only 2000 mhz instead of the 4000 it was designed to do, and it still flys. So in any case, thats my .02 cents, nothin wrong with intel if you want to go that route-Im just saying if you want to save some cash, AMD is not a bad choice.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users