Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PrcViewer problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lebowl

lebowl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

Hi:

This is my first post. I am a beginner with computers so please bear with me.

I did a full McAfee scan of my Windows Vista and got PrcViewer listed as an "Unresolved Issue" with the additional information
c:/Users/lebowl/Downloads/SmitfraudFix.exe

The forward slashes in the above address are really backslashes that I can't find the key for!!

Any help about how to remove this would be greatly appreciated! Please make any instructions as simply worded as possible due to my level of general understanding.

Thanks!

Edit:I could only find this post by searching under my name for any posts I've made. When I went to the Windows Vista Forum I didn't see my post listed. I guess I'm doing something wrong??

Edited by lebowl, 23 October 2010 - 08:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,741 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

If you are concerned with how your McAfee software works...then the best place to check would probably be the McAfee website.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_137331.htm

This topic is listed under Vista, so I don't know what you are referring to when you say you could not find it.

Worth reading, IMO, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44790.html.

Louis

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

... The forward slashes in the above address are really backslashes that I can't find the key for!!

The backslash on most keyboards is directly above the ENTER key.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 lebowl

lebowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

If you are concerned with how your McAfee software works...then the best place to check would probably be the McAfee website.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_137331.htm

This topic is listed under Vista, so I don't know what you are referring to when you say you could not find it.

Worth reading, IMO, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44790.html.

Louis

Thanks for the links!

Can anyone tell from the information in my OP if the detected file is dangerous? I tried reading the McAfee and other link posted but they are really too advanced for me.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

SmitfraudFix is an older specialized tool that was used to remove a specific type of malware infection. However, certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized fix tools such as SmitfraudFix may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as a "Risk Tool", "Hacking Tool", "Potentially Unwanted Program", or even "Malware" (virus/trojan) when that is not the case. This occurs for a variety of reasons to include the tool's compiler, the files it uses, what behavior it performs, any registry strings it may contain and the type of security engine that was used during the scan.

PrcView (PV) is a utility that provides detailed information about running processes (memory, threads, module usage) and can be used to manipulate them. It is sometimes used by other specialized tools to help deal with malware infection.

Such programs have legitimate uses in contexts where a Malware Removal Expert asked you to use the tool or when an authorized user/administrator has knowingly installed it. When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program.

It means it has the potential for being misused by others or that it was simply detected as suspicious or a threat due to the security program's heuristic analysis engine which provides the ability to detect possible new variants of malware. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive".

Since SmitfraudFix is outdated and not longer being updated by its creator, you can remove it as follows:

Please download OTC by OldTimer and save to your Desktop.
  • Connect to the Internet and double-click on OTC.exe to start the program.
  • Click on the green CleanUp! button.
  • If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • When it has finished, OTC will ask you to reboot so it can remove itself.
-- Doing this will remove any specialized tools downloaded and used. If OTC does not delete itself, then delete the file manually when done.
-- Any leftover folders/files on your desktop which OTC did not remove can be deleted manually (right-click on it and choose delete).

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 lebowl

lebowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

SmitfraudFix is an older specialized tool that was used to remove a specific type of malware infection. However, certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs or specialized fix tools such as SmitfraudFix may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as a "Risk Tool", "Hacking Tool", "Potentially Unwanted Program", or even "Malware" (virus/trojan) when that is not the case. This occurs for a variety of reasons to include the tool's compiler, the files it uses, what behavior it performs, any registry strings it may contain and the type of security engine that was used during the scan.

PrcView (PV) is a utility that provides detailed information about running processes (memory, threads, module usage) and can be used to manipulate them. It is sometimes used by other specialized tools to help deal with malware infection.

Such programs have legitimate uses in contexts where a Malware Removal Expert asked you to use the tool or when an authorized user/administrator has knowingly installed it. When flagged by an anti-virus or security scanner, it's because the program includes features, behavior or files that appear suspicious or which can potentially be used for malicious purposes. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program.

It means it has the potential for being misused by others or that it was simply detected as suspicious or a threat due to the security program's heuristic analysis engine which provides the ability to detect possible new variants of malware. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive".

Since SmitfraudFix is outdated and not longer being updated by its creator, you can remove it as follows:

Please download OTC by OldTimer and save to your Desktop.

• Connect to the Internet and double-click on OTC.exe to start the program.
  • Click on the green CleanUp! button.
  • If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • When it has finished, OTC will ask you to reboot so it can remove itself.
-- Doing this will remove any specialized tools downloaded and used. If OTC does not delete itself, then delete the file manually when done.
-- Any leftover folders/files on your desktop which OTC did not remove can be deleted manually (right-click on it and choose delete).

Thanks so much! Your explanation is so clear that even I can understand virtually everything and that's saying a lot. You should write computer books for beginners if you don't already do so.

I have one very important question about your explanation. I have many files or folders on my desktop. Things like files with pictures, sheet music scores, Word documents, email, my documents, McAfee, RealPlayer, etc. It would be a disaster if running OTC removed those folders. Is there any chance of that happening or of OTC removing something else that I want to keep?

Thanks.

Edited by lebowl, 23 October 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

OTC is a clean up utility developed by security expert OldTimer to specifically look for downloaded files and folders created by various specialized fix tools used during malware removal. These tools are normally downloaded to the desktop but once used they create files/folders in other areas of your system. OTC performs its routines using a built-in list of these tools and where they are located. The list includes any of OT's tools (OTL, OTM, OTS), Avenger, BFU, SDFix, Combofix, SmitfraudFix, VundoFix, etc, and their embedded files. Since OTC uses a target list, it will not remove anything but what it is designed to remove.

Edited by quietman7, 23 October 2010 - 03:30 PM.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 lebowl

lebowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

It worked!! You saved me probably around $100 and at least an hour on the phone(my personal best was about 7 hours on the phone one day with Dell) with McAfee.They charge for over the phone help after the first year even after you've purchased their program.

THANKS!!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

You're welcome.