Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intermet speed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 ceered

ceered

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:10 AM

I have 20 mbh broadband but I am only getting speeds of uptp 3mbh on my pc, often its less than 1. My internet provider has ruled out the modem, router and ethernet cable. When testing using adifferent pc (laptop) speeds of 19mbh were achieved. So its obviously something on my pc slowing it down. Can anyone help, please? It's driving me mad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

Are you confusing mB/s and mbps ?

"1-3mB/s" is about right for 20mbps.

Test on a speed test site such as http://www.speedtest.net/

#3 ceered

ceered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

Think I mean mbps. It's very slow whatever it is!!! I can't watch bbc iplayer without downloading the program first sometimes. And its definitely something on my pc slowing it down. Any ideas?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

Test on a speed test site such as http://www.speedtest.net/

Post the numbers from there.

What browser are you using?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 ceered

ceered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hi.

DOWNLOAD SPEED 0.48Mbps
UPLOAD SPEED 0.69Mbps
PING 11ms

Using internet explorer

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

I'm leaning towards possible malware infection...what do you think, Broni?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

I think, it'd be a good idea to check.

Do you have any other computers in your household?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 puyow18

puyow18

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

I'll be interested to see if anyone can help resolve ceered's problem, as I am currently having a similar, if not the same, problem. I posted my cry for help here, since I just assumed it could be a malware issue. Hope someone can help ceered and myself.

#9 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

Both of you should run Malware Bytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and any anti-virus software you already have installed. If anything comes up, post in the Am I Infected? Forum.

If you come up clean, try a different browser such as http://www.firefox.com/ or http://www.google.com/chrome Its always a good thing to have multiple browsers to help troubleshoot a problem.

Also, are the connections wired or wireless?

#10 ceered

ceered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:54 AM

I have run malware bytes and anti virus (Norton) already but there was nothing.
Have to confess puyow18 I also posted in another thread as I wasn't sure where to go.
I'll try another browser.

#11 ceered

ceered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:25 AM

I have installed firefox to try another browser but i can't get the speed test to work! It needs adobe which is installed but it won't run.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

There are things no one thinks about when trying to figure out why a system is running slow.

When I see Norton mentioned, that's what I think of as a possible cause. Not all security programs are created equal. What works for me may not work for you. It's entirely possible that Norton does not play nice with your system. Even if you have been using Norton for a while and having no problems, an update could make it unfriendly towards your computer.

The only way to find out if it is the problem is to uninstall Norton. IF you decide to try this out to see if it could be a cause download and save the install file for another anti-virus. A list of free antivirus programs is HERE:Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Next download and save the Norton removal tool which you can find HERE

I suggest saving them both to your desktop, so they will be right there in front of you when you need them.

If your Norton includes a firewall, it will also be uninstalled. BEFORE you start the uninstall process, enable the Windows firewall.

Uninstall Norton, reboot if necessary, then run the removal tool.

Install the other antivirus.

See if your speed has improved. If it does, great. If not, you can uninstall the new AV and reinstall Norton if you want to do so.

Do you have any toolbars? Sometimes those can cause weird things to happen. My ISP (Comcast) has a toolbar. That one has caused problems for some people-problems which go away when the thing is uninstalled.

Is the system a desktop? If it is, when was the last time the case was opened and the innards cleaned? To much dust build up can affect performance.

Do you clear your cache on a regular basis? Cookies, history, temp files, etc. take up space and if not cleared on a regular basis can affect the speed. If you have more than one person who uses the computer, their cache will need to be cleared also.

When was the last time you defragged? If it's been awhile, or never, clear the cache, then defrag.

You said you've ruled out modem and router. Is the computer connecting wirelessly or is it connected to the router with a cable? Did you plug the computer directly into the modem to see how it runs?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 October 2010 - 08:21 AM.

#13 puyow18

puyow18

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

I had already run virus scans with M$ Security Essentials (my default antivirus app), found nothing. Then downloaded and installed both Ad-Aware and Avira, which didn't find anything malicious IMO (see my original post for details).

My computer is a laptop. I've never had Norton. I have tried both Firefox and IE8 with the same results. I don't have any extra toolbars running. I have a wireless connection, but am unable to try a wired one as my ISP is Verizon Mobile Broadband.

Hope this helps narrow the problem down for someone.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

See, if you have same issue in Safe Mode with Networking.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

I'll be interested to see if anyone can help resolve ceered's problem, as I am currently having a similar, if not the same, problem. I posted my cry for help here, since I just assumed it could be a malware issue. Hope someone can help ceered and myself.

puyow18,
You have an active DDS log posted here

Please refrain from asking for further help from other members or staff until the Malware Removal Team has checked your posted log. The Malware Removal Team work very hard to investigate a unique solution to your problem and you will receive individual expert assistance. This takes time and effort so we ask you to please be patient while waiting for assistance and NOT to make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member. Any modifications you make on your own can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, following advice outside of that post may cause confusion for the team member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean. If you followed any other advice already, please ensure you inform the Malware Removal Team Team Helper when they respond to assist you with your log. This will help them know what has been done and they probably will ask for an updated log.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Removal Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 October 2010 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users